How to carry bricks when youve no hod

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is quite astonishing! There's no way to describe what this geezer does (and how well he does it), so just have a butcher's at the vid:

'Elf'n'Sayftee would have a major attack of the vapours!

2. I would have p!ssed myself if that plank had bust!
  3. Not sure our Elf'n'Safety boys would like that!
  4. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Thats impressive..
  5. I for one would take him on tomorrow (well Monday anyway).
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nobody likes a smart-arrse! Good drills though.
  7. The thing that impressed me most about it is that it's obviously his bread and butter and he's turned it into an almost artistic act. Listen to whoever's filming say: "No way", as he takes the last two bricks and lobs them unerringly onto the top of his already impossibly high pile.

On the other hand, I'd love to see where he ends up with that enormous load of bricks, for I'm completely mystified as to how he gets 'em back down off his dumplin'.

8. Speaking as someone in the game, those "bricks" weigh next to nothing. I would like to see him do that with proper British bricks, Staffordshire Blues or Southwater's.
  9. So let's say they weigh a pound apiece (and there are 22 of them). Let's also say, for argument's sake, that he's about five-foot-six tall. That means he's got that weight on his dumplin' in a pile over 40 inches high. And at no time does it look as if he hasn't got the whole thing under control. That, and the fact that he does it all day, is what's so impressive about the whole thing.

But that might not mean very much for somebody "in the game". :D :D :D

10. i'd like to see you do it with cardboardboxes :roll:
  11. Bugsy and P G, neither of you have ever been anywhere near a building site have you? As a lad I "ran the hod" for 8 or 9 hours a day. The little ragheads party trick is not impressive in any way. :D
  12. last time i was on a building site was... ooooh let me think... 5 hours ago actually
  13. Oh dear, I do believe I detect something there. :D

I'd pay good money to see you carry out this fella's "party trick" just once without mishap, and not all day, as he does.

You should be a bit careful with your supercilious assumptions, for I have worked on building sites; and not only in Ireland, but also in Germany, Italy and America. I also "ran the hod" all day (although in Italy, you strap it to your back), and my little "party trick" was going straight up to the third and fourth floor via the scaffolding poles and balancing the hod on me shoulder. Mind you, you can only do that safely if you're a trained gymnast (as I am).

By the way, I fixed your quote for you. :D :D :D

14. Pissed of early then P G
  15. My Grandad used to do a similar thing with a plank of wood - with bricks piled on it - balanced on his bonse. Apparently they used to call it 'Tupping'.

Not sure he could have followed that bloke though, he's dead now so can't ask him.