How to bury a General!

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by flamingo, Oct 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just found this account of the funeral of Lieutenant General Sir G. de C. Morton at the Curragh Camp from the Irish Times Tuesday 24th April 1906.

Seems like an impressive send-off!

http://www.curragh.info/archives/LtGenMortonFuneral.pdf

2. Thats how they did it in those days, I've got a copy of the funeral card for Lieutenant-Colonel Fraser Baddeley RA, who died in 1862, a hero of the Crimea & wounded there, Chevalier of the Legion of Honour etc., he was later, at different times, deputy of the Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield & the Royal Gunpowder Factory at Waltham Abbey.

They gave him a gun carriage funeral, even though I understand he was of insufficient rank to warrent it, followed by twelve hundred workers fron the two factories, in what was called a "spontaneous and most gratifying exhibition of feeling".

3. Don't you warrent a certain "attendance" if you are of a certain rank? I had to do a garden party for a Lt(?) Colonel, who drank himself to death if the rumours were to be believed. We had to have a company outside and an honour guard (platoon) in the cemetary, as his status required.

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

In one of his Hervey books, Mallinson (whom I would accept as an authority) suggests that when the Duke of York popped his clogs following the reductions of the army in the decade or two after Waterloo, there were insufficient troops in the UK to give him the funeral to which he was entitled.