How to build up running pace

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by FlyingCarpet, Dec 3, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any PTI’s or sportsmen have any sure fire way of increasing ones running speed? Intervals or just plain old constant running?

I can run for long distances quite easily but just can’t up the pace at which I run. Even over shorter distances, 1.5 miles for example, I run at almost the same pace as for an 8 mile jaunt. I’m pretty swift over 100-300 meters though so it’s not that I’m incapable of sprinting.

Does anyone else find that they just can’t get faster?

Oh, and I’m not a pie eating lard arrse before anyone suggests it. :wink:

2. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I have the same problem, I can run medium distances at a reasonable speed and I pass the BPFA without problem, but never get less than 9 minutes... Not for lack of trying!

3. Alternate your training by concentrating on sprinting on one sessions and endurance running on the next. You may never become a racing snake but it should be possible to shave seconds off your timings although unless you are really competitive this seems a little pointless.

4. Log on to the Runner's World website, and download some of their articles and training programmes on speedwork. It shouldn't be an irredeemable problem. Fartlek training is always one of their first suggestions.

5. hit the hills...find a hill then concentrate on interval sets on the hill. this will build up the speed muscles in your calfs and the power muscles in your quads. dont worry about long runs if your cardio in ok...just concentrate on the fast sessions and have a shake out run every 5 days to allow the slow twitch muscles to get used to the increased build up on the faster muscles. easier said than done...but i weigh 16st and can get round a bpfa in 6.44.

6. Could you just elaborate a little on the 'interval sets on a hill' - is this sprinting up the steep hill, walking down, sprinting up, walking down, sprinting up etc.

Will this translate into better results on BPFA run even if its not identical training to the 1.5 mile run?

7. Sylvano, what distances do you reccommend for the intervals, and what target times should you be aiming to achieve?

16st and 6.44? Mercy 8O

8. to get to that kind of speed, how often do you run, and for how long for?

9. Well a taxi just round the first corner helps.............or hide a gillie suit close to the end then get one of your mates to create a diversion allowing you to jump up and saunter in without breaking a sweat 8)

Easy innit :twisted:

10. So thats where I was going wrong! :D

11. When your not sure it's always best to ask the experts :D

12. If you can't afford a taxi though another tried and tested method although slightly more labour intensive is to place one foot in front of the other; gradually increase the distance between both while at the same time increasing the frequency of doing so. This rapid fluid movement has become commonly known as running and is catching on.

13. Totally off topic, but does anyone by anychance have an old essay on the 1973 oil crisis that i could have?

14. I wondered what had happened to Jonha Lomu - he's come onto Arrse as the PTI!! Respect Sy! :!:

15. You should be rotating between intervals of 100m, 200m, up to about a 800M. do a number of reps that you can keep the time consistant, so if it takes 30 secs to do one rep then make sure you can do all the reps in that time. just keep at it and your speed will increase pretty steadily.