How to Build a Nuclear submarine

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Just a quick question...... Do they do synchronised head wobbling?

Now everybody knows. India will be doing it next.

Ahem:

130815004233-india-submarine-explosion-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Not successfully though...

Seaweed, I think what you are actually meant to do is say 'heads up chaps, in 24/48 hours on Chan X (not THAT X!) there is to be a spiffing televisual programme about building a nuclear submarine for those of you that are interested.'

Horses and stable doors etc :D

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Seaweed, I think what you are actually meant to do is say 'heads up chaps, in 24/48 hours on Chan X (not THAT X!) there is to be a spiffing televisual programme about building a nuclear submarine for those of you that are interested.'

Horses and stable doors etc :D

It's on iPlayer now for the best part of 4 weeks. Generally I wouldn't like to recommend a programme I hadn't actually watched. There was a naval one the other day wrecked by a totally dire presentation by Kate Humble who clearly didn't understand the subject she was talking about, and I would hate to have recommended that in advance.

The apprentice sparky was a foxy minx.

Genuine question for the Navy guys. The sub in the film is on delivery mileage. How do the Navy muster a crew for it? Longer stay in Barrow until it is complete or rushed up just before launch?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
The apprentice sparky was a foxy minx.

Genuine question for the Navy guys. The sub in the film is on delivery mileage. How do the Navy muster a crew for it? Longer stay in Barrow until it is complete or rushed up just before launch?

There will have been key members of her crew standing by her for a long time, particularly officers and senior rates. When Astute set off initially you will have noticed she was wearing a blue ensign, I assume under the command of a 'Trials Master' or whatever they are called these days, who is hired by the builder, or possibly under the command of her real CO but with him acting for BAe and not the RN. She was still the property (and risk) of BAe and the changeover to a white ensign only comes when she actually commissions, which is for any warship quite a way downstream of her first sea trials and after formal acceptance by the RN. The trials process is a pretty long one and I would assume gets longer and longer as ships get more and more complicated.

You'll see all this played out with QE and PoW over the next few years.

It's on iPlayer now for the best part of 4 weeks. Generally I wouldn't like to recommend a programme I hadn't actually watched. There was a naval one the other day wrecked by a totally dire presentation by Kate Humble who clearly didn't understand the subject she was talking about, and I would hate to have recommended that in advance.

Yes, I saw that one - it was about Brittanic and the presenters made it utterly dire.