How to boil an Egg.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by TheBigUn, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not as simple as some would like to think.

How to boil an egg

Don't boil eggs straight from the refrigerator, very cold eggs plunged straight into hot water may crack.

Always use a timer – trying to guess the timing will not produce good results.

Never over-boil eggs – because the yolks will turn black and the eggs texture will be like rubber.

If the eggs are very fresh (less than four days old), allow an extra 30 seconds on each timing.

Always use a small saucepan – eggs with too much space to career about and crash into one another while they cook are likely to crack.

Never have the water fast boiling; a gentle simmer is all they need. Eggs have a pocket at their wide end where air collects and, during the boiling, pressure can build up and cause cracking. A simple way to deal with this is to make a pinprick in the rounded end of the shell, which will allow the steam to escape.

Soft-boiled eggs

Over the years I have found a method that is both simple and reliable, and the various timings set out here seem to accommodate all tastes.

First of all have a small saucepan filled with enough simmering water to cover the eggs by about 1/2 inch. Then quickly but gently lower the eggs into the water, one at a time, using a tablespoon. Now switch the timer on and give the eggs exactly 1 minute's simmering time. Then remove the pan from the heat, put a lid on it and set the timer again, giving the following timings:

6 minutes will produce a soft, fairly liquid yolk and a white that is just set but still quite wobbly.

7 minutes will produce a firmer, more creamy yolk with a white that is competely set.

3 minutes if you like a really soft boiled egg

4 minutes for a white that is just set and a yolk that is creamy

5 minutes for a white and yolk perfectly set, only a little bit squidgy in the centre.

Hard-boiled eggs

Place the eggs in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them by about ½ inch. Bring the water up to simmering point, put a timer on for 6 minutes if you like a bit of squidgy in the centre, 7 minutes if you want them cooked through. Then, the most important part is to cool them rapidly under cold running water. Let the cold tap run over them for about 1 minute, then leave them in cold water till they're cool enough to handle – about 2 minutes.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs

The best way to do this is to first tap the eggs all over to crack the shells, then hold each egg under a slow trickle of running water as you peel the shell off, starting at the wide end. The water will flush off any bits of shell that cling on. Then back they go into cold water until completely cold. If you don't cool the eggs rapidly they will go on cooking and become overcooked.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. you have no idea how difficult i have always found this - sunday roasts, casaroles, three cource meals - heck id even do Lobster Thermador better than i would boil a bloody egg.

i cant wait to try your method.
  3. I was just wondering if you are willing to make a video demonstration on how to boil the egg as I am slightly confused?
  4. I find that having my eggs boiled by a woman produces perfect results every time!
  5. Boil the kettle first.
    Pour boiled water in to a pan.
    Bring to boil.
    Put in egg, using slotted spoon as this stops it from cracking.
    Put on a rolling boil.
    Take a phone call for 30 minutes.
    Friend pops in for a chat, another 30 minutes.
    Have fag in garden, another 15 minutes.
    Run out of fags, pop to garage.
    Greet Fire Brigade back at the house.
    Open all windows to get rid of the smell.
    Chat to gorgeous Firemen for an hour.
    Buy take away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Is this a new system being introduced to replace PAYD?
    CFYS- Cook for yourfukcingselves?
  7. The way to test for runniness is to lay the egg on its long axis and then spin it around its short axis. Slight pressure from a digit will cause the egg to cease in its revolutions. Now the magic happens...

...if it's too runny, it will start spinning again!
  8. [​IMG]

to be found HERE.

happy to help x
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Actually the easiest way to boil an egg - whites firm, yolk runny to be eaten with lashing of buttered toast is to do as follows:

Please the egg (from fridge is fine) in cold water in a saucepan.

Put onto heat and bring to the boil.

When it starts to boil - i.e. fizzing bubbles THEN you start to time it for 2.5 mins.

Works perfectly every time.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

thanks a lot wishy ... i had lost my recipe and was heartbroken - now i got it back :D
  11. No problem lovely lady! :wink:
  12. if you don't know how to boil an egg your as much use as an op waller without bino's
  13. To prevent a soft boiled egg form cracking, you need to pierce the bottom of the egg (it releases the pressure). If you haven't got a gucci egg piercing device, softly push the sharp end of a cork screw into it to make a needle sized hole in the base. Also, a couple of dashes of vinegar in the water will stop it cracking too (it slightly softens the shell so its not so brittle). Small pan, bring to boil, only put them in as its simmering; not before. 3 minutes 30 seconds for two medium sized eggs, 4 minutes for 3. Perfect for soldier dipping (but thats another thread ;) ).
  14. Sod this boiling water malarky. Just stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

PassingBells runs away and puts his hands over his ears.

Edited to add:

Flash, is that you?
  15. That was a disaster! Mrs P religiously followed the directions above and the egg was 'orrible - loads of uncooked albumen slime.
    It's back to egg in cold water, bring to the boil, cook for four minutes, eat - wiv soljas!