How to become an infanteer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by broadside, May 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I'm waiting for my AOSB. In the meantime, I'd like to do what I can to maximise my chance of getting into the kick-ass infantry regiment of my choice. Problem is, I don't have any military relatives nor many military friends on tap. I didn't go to cadets. And, moreover, I am a city boi innit and while I am fairly fit and know on which side of a tree moss grows and a which farmyard animals sleep standing up, I assume this is hardly the fieldcraft headstart that I'll need to impress at Sandhurst.

So does anyone have any ideas about how I could go about training myself up a bit this respect? Perhaps recommend a good book on subjects like miltary tactics, survival, fieldcraft etc? And any particularly worthwhile activities to engage in? So far, I've planned a bit of hiking few the Yorkshire Dales, and I regularly do bouldering , boxing, football and running.

Anyway, any advice very much appreciated.
  2. Your best bet is concentrate no your fitness. Dont worry about buying books as realisticly you can't learn fieldcraft by reading about it. The fitter you are the easier things will be on you. You'll learn all you need to know about fieldcraft once you start your training just keep your mouth shut and listen in and you shouldn't have any problems
  3. On the other hand you could try diging a hole in the ground wait 5 minutes fill it back in, march 5 miles and dig another hole. Then fill that hole in march the 5 miles back to your original starting position and the dig out the first hole
  4. Broadside,

To be honest there is no requirement to read books on military tactics and survival skills etc before joining the Army, unless you really wanted to, the best advice i would give you is to turn up with the right attitude, listen to your CSgt instructors and they will teach you everything you need to know.

You will always be attending courses throughout your career be it Brecon, Signals, Mortars etc so you will learn all you need on the job.

All i would recommend is to keep yourself as fit as possible.

Hope this helps and good luck with the AOSB.

6. which kick arrse regt you joining?
  7. Thanks y'all. I'm just a bit loath to concede a massive headstart to all the guys who'll be turning up of the back of years of cadets and otc. My careers advisor gave me to understand that just getting in any infantry regiment would be an achievement as they were oversubscribed. If I could point and click I'd choose the Gurkhas . . . ambitious obviously but better to die than to live a coward doncha think?

Have to pass the AOSB first so this is all a bit premature in any case. Thanks again.
  8. Infantry......oversubscribed. Your career advisor is obviously in the wrong job.

Maybe he should get a job at the MOD, his numbers and theirs probably match up.
  9. The difference between the Gurkhas and any other Infantry Regiments being what?
  10. Nationality? Attitude? My experience of working with Gurkhas is that they are far more polite and less self agrandising than most. Don't take that as a knock please but the Gurkhas do seem (to me at least) to be unique.

If I was officer material and wanted to join the infantry the Gurkhas would be an option that I would seriously consider. A tad more demanding in that you would need to learn the language.

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of damned fine regiments to join. But who does not admire the Ghurkas in some way?
  11. Bit of a blunt question. Well they are from Nepal for starters. But I assume that's not what your getting at. I've been given the impression that they are among the elite and superior to many other Infantry regiments in terms of military prowess and other qualities, and that therefore they were very picky in terms of who they chose to be their officers. I hope that isn't too controversial . . . I don't claim to be well informed about this.
  12. Fair points Perturbed and i totally agree, the Gurkhas are a fine regiment and nobody can question that, however that is not my point.

Broadside claims that it is "obviously better to die than live a coward" so he would chose Gurkhas. What i am saying is that if he is more concerned about the "death or glory" side of life it doesnt matter what Infantry regiment you serve with, as Afghanistan and Iraq has proven they are all excellent soldiers.

Broadside: Not a blunt question, just curious. Dont worry about things if you pass AOSB you are already one step ahead anyway, you know that Gurkhas are from Nepal :)
  13. Sorry Terry_Y, bit of a misunderstanding. I was only quoting the Gurkha motto 'better to die than to live a coward' a) to appear knowledgeble and b) merely in reference to my own 'aim high' aspiration to get into the Gurkhas :) I didn't mean to imply anything about other regiments, you're right Afghanistan, Iraq and hundreds of years history to boot have proven the valour of all our infantry. Hoorah!
  14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Run around carrying heavy things - I was given 4ft of a old telephone pole, dig lots of very deep holes and then fill them in and go and dig them somewhere else, don't shave or shower for 6 weeks, carry large amounts of extremely lethal weaponry wherever you go.

Did I mention running? Do LOTS of it.
  15. Is that 'Hoorah' as in 'Huzzah' or 'Hooo-rah' as in Spam nonsense?
    I suspect it's not 'Huzzah,' because if it had been, Daddy would have already sorted you out an AOSB pass. Not that I'm suggesting that happens...

Cadets/OTC only have an *imaginary headstart - they THINK they know it all. Which is an advantage to you. Go in aware you know nothing, and have everything to learn, pay attention to what you're being told, and you'll be a far more impressive officer cadet than those who spent their University years on Army-sponsored pissups and fam visits, convinced of their own ability as supersoldiers.