How to approach a plan ex?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Wazam12345, Oct 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember how to approach a plan ex? It's been 18 months since I completed briefing and I need a refresher on how to approach and the order of planning it etc. I know they give you some revision the day before the planning ex on main board, but I want to give Winter Aid a go and have a few months before MB.

Obviously start with reading the text first.

2. Sketch the map, then add timings/extra things as you go along
    Timeline is optional for your own use (when things happen, when you need to do things by, when you need to avoid something, etc.)

Aims (Essential and Desirable, priority first not chronology)

Factors/Deductions (Their effect on your aims, "so what?")

Courses of action --> reasons to reject/accept them (risk/timings/achiev E1/E2 etc)
    ARRT- Aims, realistic? risk? timings

Plan (chosen CoA) -> with detailed timings/zerotime actions

Should get you started, the plan-ex revision is quite enough, nothing you really need to memorise as it's all layed out with titles on your planex sheet

3. Don't worry too much about how to do the plan ex. I had over 2 years between Briefing and Main Board and couldn't for the life of me remember how they wanted you to do it.

But on Main Board the night before the Plan Ex test you have a full run through of how to do one, it's a really good session that goes through each step simply and clearly with all and every question answered. Then you have the evening to look at your notes before doing the assessed Plan Ex the following morning.

I'll see if I can dig up the notes I made on my MB on how they wanted the Plan Ex done.