• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

How the US Green Berets Work

How the Green Berets Work
by Josh Clark

Introduction to How the US Army's Green Berets Work

Whether riding donkeys through the rugged mountains of Afghanistan, assembling guerrilla armies in Vietnam, or training paramilitary police to fight drug cartels in Columbia, the Green Berets have come to represent the most adaptable and specialized organization available in the United States' military arsenal.

Link to article.:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/green-beret.htm/printable

And your point is?

Do you think that after 2 years of dullardry you might have highlighted enough pap about this lot that anyone with 2 brain-cells, access to the Discovery Channel and a working knowledge of Google can find for themselves without your help?

The World Series is on Fox right now, you know. Pay attention somewhere else for once.

OK, calling all Yanks here. Can one of you point me towards a similar US website to arrse? What I'd like to do is simple. I'm going to post thousands of tales of British military derring-do, biogs of gutsy Brit soldiers, and stories of British military successes. Nothing else, just that.

I'm sure Trip is a top bloke and all that, but for the life of me, why does he regularly post seemingly random links to US military stories? Does he feel we need educating or something?

Do us a favour Trip -- post one about a Brit, or an Aussie, or a Canuck... or even a German. Just for a bleeding change........ :?

Trip is sharing stuff, if he didn't no one would see it. I don't see anybody slating any oz or NZ posters for their links

Hit or miss everyone is free to place links in threads. It is a military site and its posted it in the Multinational forum.

Please explain why this upsets your apple cart.

Or is it personal

WHy am I bothered!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Trip_Wire said:
by Josh Clark

Whether riding donkeys through the rugged mountains of Afghanistan, assembling guerrilla armies in Vietnam, or training paramilitary police to fight drug cartels in Columbia, the Green Berets have come to represent the most adaptable and specialized organization available in the United States' military arsenal.

Link to article.:

Thanks.

thegimp said:
Trip is sharing stuff, if he didn't no one would see it. I don't see anybody slating any oz or NZ posters for their links

Hit or miss everyone is free to place links in threads. It is a military site and its posted it in the Multinational forum.

Please explain why this upsets your apple cart.

Or is it personal

WHy am I bothered!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
Well, I suppose it is the Multinational section, so I stand corrected. I'm not slating the guy, it just seems to me a bit, well, odd I guess. He's posted stacks -- all seemingly alluding to the greater glory and prowess of Uncle Sams' finest.

Just once, couldn't he post one about a good ole fashioned US Army feck up? Just one, hmm? Come on Trip....

Trip,

Just ARRSE search Jeremy Clarkson or St Nazaire or Army commando(e)s or blowing up jerry sub things with a barking idea and I'm sure you'll see what the real Green Berets did long before your crowd muscled in.

Sorry lads I'm in a particularly bad mood brought on by some septics comment I fucked off today in the city where i live in regard to why I was wearing a poppy.

Over4MeNow said:
Trip,

Just ARRSE search Jeremy Clarkson or St Nazaire or Army commando(e)s or blowing up jerry sub things with a barking idea and I'm sure you'll see what the real Green Berets did long before your crowd muscled in.

Sorry lads I'm in a particularly bad mood brought on by some septics comment I fucked off today in the city where i live in regard to why I was wearing a poppy.
Pray tell?

Trip_Wire said:
by Josh Clark

Link to article.:

You put them on your head just like any other beret. Jeez!

Over4MeNow said:
Dave,

you just don't want to know mate
Clearly too raw and painful then!!!! Don't know about you, but it seems to me that in the last few years, wearing poppies has become very much a minority thing. Certainly wasn't always that way. I remember getting quite "irate" at work last year, seeing as I was in a building containing 100's of people, I was one of a handful with a poppy up.

Should have been sensible and diplomatic, instead of getting "emotional" and telling a few innocent [?] colleagues what I thought of them. Not Dave's way though, sadly... hence my curiosity ref the Septic!!

crabtastic said:
And your point is?

Do you think that after 2 years of dullardry you might have highlighted enough pap about this lot that anyone with 2 brain-cells, access to the Discovery Channel and a working knowledge of Google can find for themselves without your help?
The answer is obviously YES. Trippy thinks this is interesting to other people.

OK! Just a few comments, on some of the things mentioned here.

1.) Keep in mind that crabtastic, never misses a chance to be critical of anything that I post on this board. As I have mentioned before, he is always the ‘Critic.’ He seldom, if ever posts anything except criticisms of others posts, especially mine.

2.) Any ARRSE user, that has been a user for anytime at all, should know that Crabtastic has made it his place in life, to post/say anything he can, to try and harass me and discredit anything I post here.

3.) As someone mentioned this is the Multinational HQ thread. So, it shouldn’t surprise anyone here, that I’d post articles on American units here. If I ran across an article on another military, that wasn’t posted I’d post it in the the correct forum.

3a.) I have the highest respect for the UK’s military, as well as the former Commonwealth nations. That said, If I saw a good article, on the military of theses nations, I’d post it. The only other foreign nations military board that I visit regularly is the Canadian Army board. I only use two US Military boards regularly. (Professional Soldiers and SOCNET.)

4. My Regiment is the Special Forces Regiment. I am proud to have been a soldier of that regiment, and always will be. I try to never miss a chance to keep others informed of its accomplishments and missions, etc. I continue to support the regiment and it’s active duty soldiers, as a life member of the Special Forces Association and a Retired member of that Regiment.

There are many people in the world who lump our Special Forces soldiers, in with the Rangers, SEALs, etc. So, I try to point out, to such uninformed people, that Special Forces (aka Green Berets) are members of the Special Forces Regiment and the various groups assigned to that Regiment. They are a unit and the name of the unit is Special Forces, and it is not a generic name for all the SPECIAL OPERATIONS units, etc.

Many people in the UK, seem to think that our Special Forces soldiers, have the same type of missions as their SAS. This is incorrect as the US equivalent to SAS is our ‘Delta Force’ or CAG.

The main mission(s) of our Special Forces soldiers and how they they are organized. (ODA 12 man teams) is different then SAS. They can be used in SAS type missions; however, that type of mission isn’t the main missions(s) of the Special Forces Regiment.

On the other hand, our Special Forces soldiers, do train with and exchange soldiers, with your SAS unit and the Commonwealth SAS units, especially the Australian and New Zealand SAS.

So, when I saw this article, I thought it was a good one to post, for those who have some of these misconceptions, that I have mentioned, as well as an informative article in general on the Special Forces Regiment.

Trips, just from a British point of view, can I suggest this?

I will freely admit that I rarely follow your links or read your quoted articles, because they are just that. However, because of your second post, stating your aims for the link and your interest therein I read the article and found it enlightening. Like many Brits I am not too well aware of the differentiations between The Rangers, Delta, Green Berets et al ( although I am aware of the SEALS difference) but that article has helped and I will probably follow up on it.

If in your opening posts you offered some opinion or personal thoughts on the subject at hand people might feel more inclined to follow up on what you are highlighting. For example prefacing the link with your last 5 paragraphs above (that is after under point 4) would definitely have aroused my interested.

Not a criticism, just a point of view from across the pond!

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
It's just an American, desperate for attention and for the rest of us to go ooh and aahhh over just how wonderful Americans are.

It's quite common and nothing to be surprised about.

Latest Threads