How the US Army 'Green Berets' work!

Discussion in 'US' started by Trip_Wire, Dec 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Or, you could try this link: HowStuffWorks "How the Green Berets Work"

I'm not sure how far I'd trust that statement... :)

3. We've got people that do that they're called journalists, in particular the twats at the Daily Mail and News of the World

4. I thought they all just hid and waited for John Wayne to sort things out!

As for disinformation, what soldier doesn't learn that:

"Pte Jones did you put the OC's cat in the microwave?"

"No Sir!"

"Did you shit in the heater air intake of his Volvo?"

"No Sir!"

5. Their gaffer lives at:

Mailing Address:

Commander
    U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne)
    2929 Desert Storm Dr. (Stop D)
    Fort Bragg, NC 28310-9110

Could anyone really see our King Ninja living on Panthers Claw Avenue or Shed Street?

6. I actually think our bloke lives at: Flat 2a, Prince's Gate House, nr. The Boat House, Herford, HR1 5AS. Don't tell anyone I told you.

7. US Bases streets are named after Operations. Fort Drum (10th Mountain Division has Riva Ridge road, Mt. Belvedere Boulevard),Benning has ranges are also named, Ft. Dix NJ has El Guetter Range, Kasserine range, Saratoga range, etc. Desert Storm is the US name for the Gulf War version 1.0 .

8. There was a green beret mastersergeant working with selection staff in may and june 1966 if that helps , didnt look a bit like john wayne , surprised the hell out of me striking up conversations in Thai ,Laos and Khmer he had problems with my lancashire accent though!!

9. Herford or Hereford?

10. I see that Desert Storm Drive meets, then runs almost parallel to, Chicken Road. Would you care to elucidate on Operation Chicken? It's not one that I'm familiar with.

11. ...and another thing...

As far as I can make out, Desert Storm Drive is 200m long with two buildings on it. So 2929 Desert Storm Drive??? Why not 1 or 2? :?

12. There are streets in London called "Cabul" and "Candahar" after the 2nd Afghan War. There are innumerable Alma or Sebastapol Roads. My old Junior dchool was located on what was referred to locally as the "Bomber Estate" because the roads were named after WWII bomber aircraft. Not to mention streets up and down the land named after everyone from Cromwell to Wavell. At least the Americans restrict theirs to Military bases.

13. Anyway, Bldg 2929 (Special Ops Command HQ) is just off Kuwait Street, not Desert Storm Drive. No wonder you Yanks drink your coffee black. The milkman can't find your address.

14. It started as trying to understand a perceived American fixation with big numbers. Now, having found that any sane person would have addressed "2929 Desert Storm Drive" as "Building 2929, off Kuwait Street", I realise that it's just another example of US citizens not being geographically aware. If US Special Ops can't get it's address right, what hope is there for the rest of the nation?