How the times have changed

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by retread2, Aug 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wouldn't take it now.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Second prize is a 7 day break in Londonderry...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. How about the Countryside retreat for two, with walks along the river Blackwater and Guinness in the welcoming local hostelries!
  4. I was there on Saturday,very nice - had a nice coffee in a cafe. Bit of a change from last time.....
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Made me smile all the way up the A6 following someone who had spray painted out the 'London' bit on every signpost - must have used three tins!
  6. If you go back in a week someone else will have been along and sprayed over the 'derry' bit that is left which then forces the council to come along and re-paint all the signs. It is a game that has been keeping the natives amused for years.

I know a few people that have been to Londonderry in recent years for the first time since the '70s and none of them can believe it is the same city. Apparently it has changed beyond all recognition in the last 40 years.
  7. Maybe we can have a weekend break in Basra in years to come, or Dutch style cannabis cafes in Helmands green zone.
  8. Don't joke in 40 years time it'll probably happen.......
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Was the coffee shit last time?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearing in mind , these chaps have incredibly long and selective memories , what reception would a serving or former soldier , especially one whos done Banner get? I understand peace tours are big business in the north however could a former soldier walk down The Falls revisiting his former exploits?

11. Yep

...was wearing it if memory serves - at least it looked like coffee..

12. Yes, no problem whatsoever. Your even advised to wear your old clobber in a kinda 'tribute' sort of way - the locals lap it up.....
    • Like Like x 3