How th UK Gov allowed 400 Brits be captured by Sadam

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?

"The Government allowed a passenger jet to land in Kuwait at the start of the first Gulf War - delivering nearly 400 Britons into Saddam Hussein's hands - so nine special agents could secretly enter the country, it is revealed today.

The men, women and children on a fuel-laden British Airways Boeing 747 were bombed on a Kuwaiti runway by the Iraqi air force before being split up and sent to 70 locations to act as human shields.

This allowed seven of the MI6 operatives to escape from the airport with their equipment as part of a top-secret intelligence gathering exercise, says journalist Stephen Davis.

In The Mail on Sunday's Live magazine, Mr Davis writes that both Margaret Thatcher and John Major subsequently covered up the fact that the invasion of Kuwait had begun four hours before the BA flight landed in the war zone on August 2, 1990 - and that every other flight had been cancelled.

During their four months in captivity some of the 376 passengers lived on starvation rations, women - and men - were raped and others suffered serious beatings."
john

Men Raped ! Oh my Buddha

Is this really a suprise?

Or is it Labour letting a little spin occur so they can say - see we are not so bad after all! We just sent potentailly thousands of Bristish troops to their death with crap equipment and no idea what Saddam actually had to do nasty things with at the start of Gulf II.

I think I am becoming more cynical toward this government by the hour.

petite_butsweet said:

Or is it Labour letting a little spin occur so they can say - see we are not so bad after all! We just sent potentailly thousands of Bristish troops to their death with crap equipment and no idea what Saddam actually had to do nasty things with at the start of Gulf II.

How on earth do You get to pull the government into this!!!!

I think petite_butsweet's point is that the curretn faux government may have let this little gem slip to allow themselves a little breathing space....

Even so, whoi could be surprised by such an act - its the kind of thing governments do in the name of the safety of their people all of the time, in fact, I'm going to stick my neck out a bit and say in SOME ways, its a good job they do................

[donning body armour and helmet under desk]

BS

[align=center]:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
thats one of the most fcuk'd up things ive heard our gov. has done in the past 50 years...shocking...hopefully the enquiry results in punishment for some fcuked up MI6 strategists!
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
[/align]

This story has been around for years, except that the usual claim is that the extra passengers were special forces, not MI6. Didn't another newspaper run that story very recently?

The only new feature of this Mail story is that:

The men, women and children on a fuel-laden British Airways Boeing 747 were bombed on a Kuwaiti runway by the Iraqi air force.
Oh yeah? A 747 with 400 passengers was bombed, on the runway, and nobody was hurt in the process?

The 747 WAS substantially destroyed on the airport apron at Kuwait City International. The apron surface in the area was pitted with regular small explosion craters indicating cluster munitions.

None of this proves there were no extra passengers on the flight. Just that it is not a new story and that, as someone else has suggested, there may be reasons for the sudden reappearance of the story in multiple news media.

hackle said:
This story has been around for years, except that the usual claim is that the extra passengers were special forces, not MI6.

...that is what this article says, that 'sheep-dipped' SF formed a section called The Increment, along with MI5/MI6/Sigs/Int Corps, and they were the 'special' passengers.

The article. 'It is a group designed for so-called "black ops", where soldiers and spies are sent on missions the Government can deny all knowledge of'.

MI6 whistle-blower Richard Tomlinson first went public on The Increment. Stephen Davis, the writer, is cited by the Mail as having the 'ground-breaking' first TV interview with Tomlinson. Tomlinson, it will be recalled, says MI6 killed Diana.

Davis also claims to have been briefed by four ex-Increment soldiers, of course unattributably. Other than this, his report is pretty circumstantial. he claims that, once on the ground, the guys reported that Iraq wasn't going to invade Saudi and were vital in giving Iraqi dispositions pre-Desert Storm. However, I thought satellites could/did that...??????

Sven said:
petite_butsweet said:

How on earth do You get to pull the government into this!!!!
Think outside the box and it's amazing this little gem is re released (as it's always been known about) when there is more pressure than ever to retract from Iraq . That's how on earth. :censored:

cpunk

LE
This is a complete bunch of arrse. I personally debriefed a number of passengers and crew from this aircraft on their return to the UK and none of them said anything about any extra passengers at the time. Nor has any remotely reliable source come forwards with any other information about the supposed 'extra' passengers.

Information about 'the increment' comes from mega-walt Niall Arden and is entirely bollocks.

"The Government allowed a passenger jet to land in Kuwait at the start of the first Gulf War
I see, so the Government is the ATCO at Kuwait International is it?

Does anyone seriously think a BA Captain is going to take his 747 into a captured airport and deliberately endanger his crew, passengers and airframe?

This flight as I remember, was the long haul to Kuala Lumpur and KI was a refuelling stop. At the time I don't believe anyone thought there was an imminent danger , until the Iraqi Army rocked up unannounced.

This is garbage. Is there a compensation case being launched?

cpunk said:
This is a complete bunch of arrse. I personally debriefed a number of passengers and crew from this aircraft on their return to the UK and none of them said anything about any extra passengers at the time. Nor has any remotely reliable source come forwards with any other information about the supposed 'extra' passengers.

Information about 'the increment' comes from mega-walt Niall Arden and is entirely bollocks.
Arden and Tomlinson could have a walt-off....biggest load of b~~~###s wins.

A compensation case over this began in 1995. ISTR that about 60 passengers sued, but I don't remember the outcome.

So not only is this 'exclusive' nothing more than exclusively b*llocks, it's eleven years out of date. Bravo Zulu to the Mail - never knowingly at the forefront of accurate news gathering.

Information about 'the increment' comes from mega-walt Niall Arden and is entirely bollocks.[/quote]

A quick google and the chronology suggests Arden (2006) probably copied The Increment from Tomlinson (2001). I thought you weren't supposed to be able to b******t a b********er!

The men, women and children on a fuel-laden British Airways Boeing 747 were bombed on a Kuwaiti runway by the Iraqi air force before being split up and sent to 70 locations to act as human shields.
A fuel-laden plane?!? How dangerous! Next thing they'll be flying around in the skies!!! 8O

Next time (Iran? North Korea? Scotland?) it should be a Monarch flight to Tenerife - a few hundred chavs. They can keep them!

I am sure that the hapless Mukharabat would have been easy to elude.

"Are you all Eenglish? Are any of you spies for the lackey of the Great Satan? No, that is good."

Wasn't this myth borrowed by Frederick Forsyth for a novel about a nuclear-shell firing supergun?

Radio 4's 8 O'Clock news just had a guy who was on the flight and taken hostage as a 14 year old. He claims that, even at that age, he was 'amazed' aircraft were still flying into Kuwait.

If it was that obvious they would be flying into danger you have to ask why his family boarded the flight. I wonder if a no doubt harrowing experience hasn't played a trick or two with the memory. It doesn't take much to make people jittery about flying into the MidEast. After kidnapped tourists were killed in a botched rescue in Yemen, the next week I was on the LHR-Jeddah-Sa'ana flight: not only did I have a window seat, I had the entire window clutch of three seats, that row and two rows in front and behind to myself. There must have been less than 20 people in the economy section of a jumbo.

Conspiracy theories seem to be a rejection of the contingent, arbitrary nature of events. A 'super rationality' gets imposed on events to try to give a chain of logic and meaning, however improbable. It is almost as if any causal chain is better than none, the alternative being to take a Hobbesian view of a short, brutish life many people find just too threatening to accommodate.

You can't blame people for this. You can't blame someone trying to make sense of a teenage trauma. What grips my s*** however are those like the writer of this article (and upcoming book) who are shamelessly pursuing profit and notoreity by exploiting the cedulous, the aggrieved and the vulnerable.

Laddo on the radio was calling for a public inquiry. I am now actually for one, just to put this to bed and free many ordinary joes from exploitation at the hands of the academically unethical and morally bankrupt.