How tall is too tall?

Due to commission after my degree; doing some thinking about what to do with it.
I'd love to join the armored core but I'm 6'4". I assume that it would be silly and that I should settle for the artillery instead but can't find an answer elsewhere online.
Any advice?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using ARRSE mobile app

Im 6'5 and done 2 years on chally 2 then 9 years on CVRT. A bit tight but nothing too serious. I believe there is a height restriction on MBT regiments now though.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Due to commission after my degree; doing some thinking about what to do with it.
I'd love to join the armored core but I'm 6'4". I assume that it would be silly and that I should settle for the artillery instead but can't find an answer elsewhere online.
Any advice?

Armoured Core = armoured on the inside
Armoured Corps = armoured on the outside

My old mate Rick over in Plano TX was a gunner in the OKNG for a while. He had wanted to serve in the Army, but the recruiting sergeant respectfully sent him away - hence his time in the NG. His mom had to make serious adjustments to his ODs and ended up combining two sets of pants to make the one. He ended up as a gunner in towed artillery - the only part of the NG he could get into, since it was all done outside and under the sky. A good job, too, as he stands seven feet two inches in bare feet, and made handling a 155 projectile look like a gorilla picking up a small banana. He then joined the DEA and for a few years was the A man - first through the hole in the wall on a breaching scenario. Never got hit once by any of the opposition who were probably crapping themselves as 'Predator' came at them with a SPAS-12 in each paw.
Having tried to squeeze into a Challenger 2 recently - and I'm only 5ft 11in, I feel sorry for anybody much bigger who has ambitions in the Armoured CORPS.

Good luck - whatever you do.

tac

Any advice?

Shit windup.

Any advice?

A few things,

You may be attending Sandhurst with the intention of commissioning after your degree, but you are not assured of commissioning until you have successfully completed that course (along with the AOSB, etc. if you have not already passed that)

Next, learn the difference between corps and core if you intend to join the army as an officer (particularly as a graduate!). And you need to start spelling in accordance with British convention, armoured rather than armored.

Aside from that: there is indeed now a height limit on those joining Challenger 2 equipped regiments. Not sure what the limit is, but I have been told about 6'2". Note that for the other parts of the RAC (Lt Cav and Armd Cav) there is not (as far as I am aware) a height limit. Therefore even if you are unable to join a CR2 regiment, you could potentially still join another RAC regiment. As far as I know, the gunners (Royal Artillery) have no height limits, but in general their role is very very different to that of any of the RAC regiments (less perhaps some of the STA bits).

This is from the November 2012 branch meeting of the Bournemouth & Poole branch, RTRA. The guest speaker was a Captain from the RAC Training Regiment at Bovington.

The future!
You heard it here first folks, the RAC is introducing height restrictions. Although 99% of recruits will be unaffected, you now have to be between 5'2 inches and 6'2 inches tall otherwise you will be rejected for the RAC. No reason was given for the minimum height but the maximum height is due to IED's, where someone squashed inside an AFV with little or no headroom will have a much greater chance of serious injury

This is from the November 2012 branch meeting of the Bournemouth & Poole branch, RTRA. The guest speaker was a Captain from the RAC Training Regiment at Bovington.

The future!
You heard it here first folks, the RAC is introducing height restrictions. Although 99% of recruits will be unaffected, you now have to be between 5'2 inches and 6'2 inches tall otherwise you will be rejected for the RAC. No reason was given for the minimum height but the maximum height is due to IED's, where someone squashed inside an AFV with little or no headroom will have a much greater chance of serious injury
I am told that this only applies to prospective CR2 crewmen (clearly anyone joining RTR, QRH or KRH). I don't believe there are plans at present to introduce a height limit for Lt Cav and Armd Cav regiments (although if CVR(T) use persists, I could understand it for Armd Cav).

The reason for the restriction for armoured regiments is one of ergonomics. Basically you cannot properly fit into a CR2 if you are taller than 6'2". Clearly we all know CR2 crewmen who are taller than that, but those are to be the rules from here on, I gather. I don't know any more of the specifics.

Depending on the design characteristics of SV SCOUT and whatever ultimately replaces JKL (for the Lt Cav), there may well be height limits applied to these as well. As I mentioned, I don't believe that Armd Cav regiments have a height restriction, but clearly height can be an issued for CVR(T), so if SV SCOUT fielding is pushed any further the right they might introduce something here.

Armored = our US brethren.

If you're going to be a pedant...
You dragged up a post from over 3 years ago just to be a twat?

Now that's funny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
smudge67 The NAAFI Bar 23
M RAC 37
jsi49 Current Affairs, News and Analysis 22