How should HM Forces move to accommodate transgender personnel in the ranks and what potential issues will be created?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is 'Tara' wearirng the new Mk12 Urban Combat helmet, cunningly disguised as a awful syrup?

View attachment 548656

styled on Mr Logic (only the hair)

1613057748287.png

Trans or whatever the right term is, have been serving for probably over 10 years. I found it a bit odd (when I was still serving), but each to their own I guess.

Edit: The closest I got to serving with one, was queuing for meals in the mess, Upavon I think it was, whist I was on some course or other.

Since joining civvy street, I've also worked with some, and I still find it a bit odd, but if they can do the job asked of them, what does it matter?
The journalist's question was how should the armed-forces move to accommodate transgender persons. Your remark is that such persons are successfully serving, indeed as they have since such a condition was recognised, though possibly they were not consciously transgender at the time of their recruitment . So a small number of transgender people have been successful while being selected to the same standard (one hopes) as everyone else, while the question is whether more should be actively sought and recruited -- in other words, whether the recruitment requirements of any particular function should be changed to serve this sub-group of potential recruits. I suggest not but I expect that, in practice, roles and requirements will be modified (made easier) in order that some senior person gets a 'woke' browny-point on their promotion assessment and the work load can be carried by others.

Edit: This is apparently in the junk forum, so I apologise for momentarily being sensible. Arse, tits, dog-turd etc etc.

The journalist's question was how should the armed-forces move to accommodate transgender persons. Your remark is that such persons are successfully serving, indeed as they have since such a condition was recognised, though possibly they were not consciously transgender at the time of their recruitment . So a small number of transgender people have been successful while being selected to the same standard (one hopes) as everyone else, while the question is whether more should be actively sought and recruited -- in other words, whether the recruitment requirements of any particular function should be changed to serve this sub-group of potential recruits. I suggest not but I expect that, in practice, roles and requirements will be modified (made easier) in order that some senior person gets a 'woke' browny-point on their promotion assessment and the work load can be carried by others.
The OP is not a journo, Hugh is an ex meatbomb, who happens to like doing Podcasts.
Are you still in Germany?

If so, that would explain why you are so behind the times. :p

The OP is not a journo, Hugh is an ex meatbomb, who happens to like doing Podcasts.
Are you still in Germany?

If so, that would explain why you are so behind the times. :p

How does weakening selection criteria for recruitment improve the defence of UK? Those transgender persons who are now serving have, supposedly, been selected and trained with the same standards as everyone else so good luck to them. That's not what was asked in the thread title though.

Making a podcast for publication involves gathering information, assessing it and presenting it. That's journalism.

How does weakening selection criteria for recruitment improve the defence of UK? Those transgender persons who are now serving have, supposedly, been selected and trained with the same standards as everyone else so good luck to them. That's not what was asked in the thread title though.

Making a podcast for publication involves gathering information, assessing it and presenting it. That's journalism.
You might want to peruse the JSP for the Recruitment and Management of Transgender Personnel in the Armed Forces.
No change in standards to accommodate Transgender Recruits or serving personnel.

I think you will find that Hugh just enjoys chatting with people who have a story to tell.

Back in the early 70's, I was part of a cadre course and the female Adjutant asked the question? Should Females be allowed to be frontline troops? All the standard answers came out, and overall the general response was NO. So I ask the same form of question should transgender troops be allowed to be frontline and meet the same standards as male troops, which I guess also includes Gays?
Only if they can use a mortar .

You might want to peruse the JSP for the Recruitment and Management of Transgender Personnel in the Armed Forces.
No change in standards to accommodate Transgender Recruits or serving personnel.

I think you will find that Hugh just enjoys chatting with people who have a story to tell.
Note that the title specifically requests responses for future change "How should HM Forces move to accomodate transgender personnel in the ranks and what potential issues will be created?". This does rather imply that the current situation, as set out in the JSP, is felt to be unacceptable and is going to change.

The JSP, as one might expect, deals largely with preventing any occurence of bullying or harassment, and supporting medical procedures agreed with DMS. Very fair and reasonable, so what part of the status-quo is unacceptable? I note that the journalist didn't ask for responses from transgender persons in the army who feel they have been mis-treated. Possibly because this is after all a public forum. So is the question one set of words but actually meaning another set of words . . .

Latest Threads