How shit is Cadbury chocolate

The factory you mention does not even have a head office in Brum its based in Uxbridge.
FFS.... Cadbury moved production to Poland many years before Mondelez became owners... and the Republic of Ireland long before that, attracted by advantageous tax breaks. The head office in Uxbridge goes way back to Cadbury Schweppes days. They also had offices in Maple Cross, Hertfordshire and probably elsewhere, as well.

All absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Kraft/Mondelez.

You seem to be determined to be argumentative about things which you clearly know less about than you maintain.

Dad's diabetic but he likes a bit of chocolate. "Get me some bars of Cadbury's Milk Tray", he said. He meant Dairy Milk obviously but at 95...

Sainsburys had some Dairy Milk with "30% less sugar" writ large on the packaging. I turned over the pack to see the sugar content - 37%. So down from 67%. **** knows what it will taste like!

And what crap will they have replaced the 30% sugar with?!
Your dad might have a better memory than you. I recall Milk Tray bars. Each chunk had a different flavoured filling. At least, I think it was Milk Tray - it might have been a different choccy box in a bar.

Just checked:

What crap replaces sugar? Dunno but when Cadbury's replaced a substantial proportion of their milk chocolate bar with air, the public lapped it up. It was called Aero.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Dad's diabetic but he likes a bit of chocolate. "Get me some bars of Cadbury's Milk Tray", he said. He meant Dairy Milk obviously but at 95...
I think you will find that your Dad has a better memory than you thought.

ETA beaten to it as usual.

I don't use McD's. I've never liked them (the McMuffins are ok) but I am an observer of brand identity. Over the last few years, I have noticed that a lot of their shops are displaying these indistinct and very dull and dowdy muddy brown signs. Here are a couple of examples.

View attachment 490514

View attachment 490515
I thought, at first, that they might be temporary signs, but I don't think that they are. Even if that were the case, I would have thought that they could have arranged something a little more lively and inspiring.

It seems very strange for a corporation as brand conscious as McDonald's
I thought they brought their brown colour scheme in with their coffee shops.

Last edited:
When I was but a lad in the sixties, a wealthy relative brought us a box of Terry's 1767 assortment.
I haven't come across anything that good since then.
terrys-chocolate-box-old.jpg

D

Deleted 166739

FFS.... Cadbury moved production to Poland many years before Mondelez became owners... and the Republic of Ireland long before that, attracted by advantageous tax breaks. The head office in Uxbridge goes way back to Cadbury Schweppes days. They also had offices in Maple Cross, Hertfordshire and probably elsewhere, as well.

All absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Kraft/Mondelez.

You seem to be determined to be argumentative about things which you clearly know less about than you maintain.
Most of the production in Ireland has ceased. Uxbridge was the head office of Schweppes Bournville was the head office of Cadbury. Very little production is undertaken in Birmingham production has been expanded in Eastern Europe. Most products no longer use the famous Cadbury Dairy Milk recipe you may think my comments are argumentative I am mearly stating the facts Cadbury no longer exists as a PLC & Mondelez International is a insignificant company of no real relevance to Birmingham. Most Brummies couldn't care less about Mondelez International Cadbury's PLC ceased in 2010. You seem to be confused with a tourist attraction on the site of the former factory which is known as Cadbury World that is the only real connection to the previous company on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

RBMK

War Hero
Terry's was swallowed up by Kraft in 2004.

Rowntree merged with Mackintosh in 1969 to form Rowntree Mackintosh (Quality Street, Fruit Pastilles etc) and were themselves swallowed by Nestle in 1988, which merely saved them from being bought by Jacobs Suchard, who, of course ended up as Kraft Jacobs Suchard and finally Mondelez.

Frys is Cadburys.

Other than niche chocolate manufacturers, you generally have a choice of Mondelez or Nestle.

Lindt is still Swiss owned.

Is that what it's all about? I can't say that I am aware of their coffee shops.
They serve coffee in the MaccyD's, it's not bad really

Certainly better value for money than coffee from Costa, Pret or Starbucks, and they don't give it a French sounding name either

TamH70

MIA
They serve coffee in the MaccyD's, it's not bad really

Certainly better value for money than coffee from Costa, Pret or Starbucks, and they don't give it a French sounding name either
If I had to choose the perfect fast-food based meal, it'd be Burger King burgers, McDonald's cappuccino coffee, Subway donuts and KFC coleslaw.

RBMK

War Hero
You mean Mars / Wrigley / Galaxy / Milky Way / M&M / Malteasers / Snickers / Skittles / Starburst / Twix?

Not to mention Uncle Bens rice and pet foods.

The only difference is that they are family owned but have been lambasted for unethical treatment of animals, use of slave labour etc. And they are no better than the others, just more private.

If I had to choose the perfect fast-food based meal, it'd be Burger King burgers, McDonald's cappuccino coffee, Subway donuts and KFC coleslaw.
The Taco Bell Beef Crunchwrap Supreme is far nicer than a fast food burger.

Clunker

Old-Salt
You can tell the quality of chocolate by its cocoa solids content. Bournville, revered by many as Britain's finest dark chocolate* is 36% cocoa solids and retails at £1.59 for a 200g bar. Lidl's dark chocolate, at 35p for a 100g bar, has 50%.

I've just bought another half dozen bars of the cheap, nasty, better quality chocolate...

* I preferred Fry's but that's long gone.
If you lust after Frys Chocolate Creme then try Ritters Peppermint. 100g and tastes soooo close. Just a different shape so close your eyes :blowkiss:

Is that what it's all about? I can't say that I am aware of their coffee shops.
Some of their branches have separate counters and somewhat separate seating for the coffee business. Their coffee is inexpensive and isn't too bad. The cakes and biccies they sell though look sickly sweet septic style stuff.

The quality of standard British chocolate has never been particularly high, according to chocolate purists. It was made to suit British tastes. They liked the snap and the mouth feel of the indigenous version. This was (is) achieved by using a high proportion of vegetable fat rather than cocoa butter. I believe that the head sheds in the EEC wanted it described as 'vegelate' to reflect this.

It's shit, really, but it's what the public liked. My own main problem with mass-produced chocolate is the amount of sugar used, but that can apply equally to the Gucci stuff.

I quite enjoy some low-quality shit. There's a firm called FEBO in Holland. They are a chain of coin-op automat and counter service shops that serve a variety of pre-prepared fried snacks. It's probably the worst kind of rubbish that you can put into yourself, but I've always really liked them.

D

Deleted 166739

The quality of standard British chocolate has never been particularly high, according to chocolate purists. It was made to suit British tastes. They liked the snap and the mouth feel of the indigenous version. This was (is) achieved by using a high proportion of vegetable fat rather than cocoa butter. I believe that the head sheds in the EEC wanted it described as 'vegelate' to reflect this.

It's shit, really, but it's what the public liked. My own main problem with mass-produced chocolate is the amount of sugar used, but that can apply equally to the Gucci stuff.

I quite enjoy some low-quality shit. There's a firm called FEBO in Holland. They are a chain of coin-op automat and counter service shops that serve a variety of pre-prepared fried snacks. It's probably the worst kind of rubbish that you can put into yourself, but I've always really liked them.
British chocolate isn't really proper chocolate it is a just gloop of vegetable fat. Cadbury chocolate even when British owned was always rubbish. Mars has always been sickly sweet while Nestle just mucked about with Rowntrees recipes and Kraft did to Terrys what its done to Cadbury's. Blue Birds Vincent Works factory where I was bought up were simply the best did brilliant Chocolate Toffee much missed in Hunnington even today. The old factory is due to be demolished imminently.

Latest Threads