How shit is Cadbury chocolate

Yokel

LE
Coke invented father Christmas too I believe. They couldn't lose.
They invented the red clad one. He
was a priest in Turkey who wore green, and dropped bags of Gold down chimneys.

Wagon wheels (original) would need a proper fanny.
Is that why Cadburys ran into problems? Mars Confectionery sold the four fingered Twix, Nestle/Rowntree offered four fingers of Kitkat, but Cadburys had......

Flake
Cream Egg
Wispa
Whole Nut
?

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
We used to get Birds Eye fish finger broken rejects in a big bag when I was a kid from a dubious shop that sold tins with no labels, broken biscuits and cornflakes out of a big barrel.

Round the back of Dockhead in Londinium.

Kirkz

LE
We used to get Birds Eye fish finger broken rejects in a big bag when I was a kid from a dubious shop that sold tins with no labels, broken biscuits and cornflakes out of a big barrel.

Round the back of Dockhead in Londinium.
As a kid we lived a few hundred yards from a Fox's biscuit factory, the one thing you could be sure of was every house in the neighbourhood had plenty of biscuits.

As a kid we lived a few hundred yards from a Fox's biscuit factory, the one thing you could be sure of was every house in the neighbourhood had plenty of biscuits.
My grandmother worked in the Macintosh’s factory in Halifax, when we went to stay she would come home with a massive bag of mis shapen toffee crisp bars. When you’re 9 you don’t care that they look like comedy fake turds.

Kirkz

LE
My grandmother worked in the Macintosh’s factory in Halifax, when we went to stay she would come home with a massive bag of mis shapen toffee crisp bars. When you’re 9 you don’t care that they look like comedy fake turds.
Did a job on the West coast main line with BR twenty odd years ago, the access point was via a farm yard, during dinner break I wandered around the yard and found an old roll top bath full of these...

Asked the farmer about them and he said he got them from the factory as pig food as there was something wrong with the ingredient mix, asked him if I could have some and he said help yourself I have about 3 tons of them, I filled my work bag and my kids and I were eating them for weeks.

Is that why Cadburys ran into problems? Mars Confectionery sold the four fingered Twix, Nestle/Rowntree offered four fingers of Kitkat, but Cadburys had......

Flake
Cream Egg
Wispa
Whole Nut
?
Mars' Twix is two fingers as is Carbury's Twirl

Carbury's Boost and Starbar are good

But, they're all too damned small now - PHE needs hanged, drawn & quartered

Think “Captain Birdseye’s knob”.
or perhaps don’t...
He's been cancelled, it's Mz Birdseye now

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Did a job on the West coast main line with BR twenty odd years ago, the access point was via a farm yard, during dinner break I wandered around the yard and found an old roll top bath full of these...

Asked the farmer about them and he said he got them from the factory as pig food as there was something wrong with the ingredient mix, asked him if I could have some and he said help yourself I have about 3 tons of them, I filled my work bag and my kids and I were eating them for weeks.
And this boys and girls is the story of how @Kirkz discovered the joys of skip dipping.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
They invented the red clad one. He
was a priest in Turkey who wore green, and dropped bags of Gold down chimneys.

Flake
Cream Egg
Wispa
Whole Nut
?
And Cadbury’s had Bar Six. Which were rather nice actually back in the day.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
And Cadbury’s had Bar Six. Which were rather nice actually back in the day.
Cadburys were actually very reasonable until the carpet baggers moved in.

Herself brought home a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate, it didn't seem as good as it used to be. The stuff doesn't taste as creamy as the older stuff from back a few decades. She also brought home a couple of packets of McVites hobnobs and they are still delicious with a brew.

My Dad worked 30+ years at Lyle & Tate, things were pretty sweet for us.
Sugar cubes for dice, ok till the corners wore off.

edit
Aunty Evelyn worked at the Meccano factory in Binns Road, no surprises at Christmas, wish I had them now.

Last edited:
Cadburys were actually very reasonable until the carpet baggers moved in.
Bar Six disappeared off the scene many, many years before there was the merest whiff of any takeover.

There seems to be a roses around the door memory of Cadbury. It had acquired a lot of its globalised corporate habits long before Kraft became involved. The rot probably started when it joined forces with Schweppes back in 1969. It became particularly acquisitive from then on.

What happened later was nothing more than biter bitten, I'm afraid.

British companies do not have a particularly impressive record when they decide to expand and try and play with the global big boys. A classic example is J. Lyons and Co. It was a massively successful, innovative and self-reliant catering company. It was a particularly good employer and the benefits of a job with Joe Lyons were considerable. It was huge.

Inevitably, there came a point when it seemed to lose all direction. There was a series of ill-considered takeovers, amalgamations and corporate split-offs and it wasn't long before it disappeared into history.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
My Dad worked 30+ years at Lyle & Tate, things were pretty sweet for us.
Sugar cubes for dice, ok till the corners wore off.

edit
Aunty Evelyn worked at the Meccano factory in Binns Road, no surprises at Christmas, wish I had them now.
There were a lot of perks working for big and medium sized companies back in the 60’s.
My old man worked for Brookes Bakeries in Manchester who produced amongst other things Mothers Pride.
Mother never had to buy a loaf of bread, pies or cakes even cream.
Now when I say perks....;)
You couldn’t get away with such stuff today with everything been barcoded and accounted for on computers.

Latest Threads