How Secure Is Your Civvy Job?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BanjoBill, Dec 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well folks. I've just enjoyed about 5 years of prosperity out of about 11 years of trade and I bet I'm not the only one watching the shit hit the fan big time. Crazy thing is, I'm more busy now that I've ever been, but the thing that's keeping me busiest of all - is planning and scheming for the inevitable.

It got me thinking and to be honest. I don't know of any business area at the moment that isn't suffering. Everyone seems to be heading for the skids.

What's it like where you work... is it all doom and gloom, or is your business looking good?
  2. been living on edge for 7 years - expect it to get worse.
    Never actually changed my job but have been sold off/outsourced 3 times and am now onto my 4th company. Each company makes redundancies (5 times) and outsourced jobs to Mumbai (twice)
    It was a shame for the people killed in mumbai but oh how we laffed a couple of weeks ago especially as theres no disaster recovery in place yet. many damp trousers in senior management. cnuts!
  3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Touch wood, I think I'm as secure as it gets without being an insolvency manager or bailiff! I'm of a suitable age, grade and experience to let me think that my Civil Service job (if not individual posts) will last as long as this "crisis". I'm getting my promotion in the New Year and combined with recent pay deals I'm expecting my salary to go up 30% from its current level over the next 8 months - as well as getting a handy lump sump in the £800-1500 range in backpay.

I never joined the CS for a good salary, and doubt I'll get one while I'm in. We used to tout "job security" as a big benefit of the work, but at my age you don't tend to worry about that - until now. Now I'm incredibly grateful to have the career I do more so than ever and, cheesy as it may sound, I'm still chuffed to be able to do my own little bit to help the lads and lasses on the sharp end.
  4. I am a bit worried at the moment; my company seems set on pulling out of one of its biggest areas of work next year. Although this is seen as a good thing in some circles.

Cuts are nothing new to us, however, as we have been working on a diminishing budget and resources for years. Although we are still very top heavy with senior management, I don’t expect the situation to change in the foreseeable future.

On the bright side there seems to be expansion in its other long term project and I am sure that given time our parent company in the states will find something else to occupy us and keep us in employment for years to come
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I work for a fine sporting gun manufacturer that is nearly 200 years old. Things are going pretty well for us as rich people look where they can safely stash some cash. Basically a £70,000 shotgun is as safe as it gets and I suppose if civilisation falls into armageddon at least you have a big feck off 12 bore to defend your family with!

Also as the pound decreases in value our overseas customers start getting excited and place lots of orders so they can get the best value for money.

On the other hand, the soon to be Mrs Ravers works for a luxury tour operator who are pretty fecked as no one is booking holidays at the moment. Obviously the weakness of the pound is screwing them big time as they pay all their overseas agents and ground handlers.
  6. I bet your old firm told you that the jobs they were creating in India were just to support the efforts of your location.
  7. I work in the electricity generation industry, and thats about as safe as it gets after privatisation of the industry no one has been keeping up with building new plant so there is a real deficancy of system margin espesialy if the weathers crap. in saying that enough companys go to the wall then there might be less demand but sure I safe.

HO HO ba humbug
    hope all ARSERs get through this difficult patch at least relativly unscathed
  8. As a student I'm in an economic bubble for a few years with little chance of anything affecting me.

I'm feeding off society using that sweet, sweet student loan. =D
  9. Ah no worries, the state of Britains debt will have you and your kids paying long after us current taxpayers have gone.
  10. Working in the offshore oil industry which is looking reasonably safe at the moment but we usually go through a depression in the industry every 10 years with rigs stacked in shipyards till the oil price becomes viable to go drilling again, our last downturn was 1999 hopefully should ride it out but the reccession has a knock on effect in every business/industry so who knows ?
  11. I do some hourly for one of our great British institutioins abroad....just been laid off because they cost faaaaaaar too much above the competition...pricing thinking? Not. A typical British failure. Our name will carry us..... to the cemetary, business speaking.
  12. actually no ... this last time, the senior feckers were so incompetent the news leaked onto the grapevine and everyone knew who was fecked BEFORE they announced there MIGHT be some layoffs. Then they arrsed up the headcount and had to tell 12 folk (1 department) who had got their marching orders ... that they were needed after all. That department is now unmanageable as they know they are first for the next chop and the management is scared to discipline any of them as the union is just waiting for something to scream 'bullying'. Makes for fun viewing.
  13. Just been laid off by a fine abroad British institutiion because they are not up and running with market rates. Plenty of work with the local practitioners, who know what a real price is though. Bye, bye, Brittania.
  14. Plasterer, 27 years self-employed.
    This has happened before and it will happen again. Not too concerned at the moment as all my work is in renovation and domestic properties working for people who will now decide not to move for the foreseeable future and instead do up the house they're living in. This has already been reflected in the last couple of months work that's come in. Two garage conversions and a cellar conversion...
    We'll see what 2009 brings though. I will have to put my joiners hat or my tilers hat on. Diversification is the word.
    There may be an influx of new competition with people being laid off in the building trade but it will take time for them to become established locally. I expect there will be a bit of fighting for any existing job vacancies (sub contract etc) in the building trade and some will leave the building trade to retrain. But I'll still be doing what I've always done since leaving the mob, dealing direct with the householder.
    I have just started advertising locally (which is a first for me for over 15 years) but I'm just hedging my bets. Steady away and no silly spending. The van will stay for another year or two before being replaced, I'll keep up with the tax bills and tighten my belt a little. Fortunately the wife likes camping and the kids will also be looking forward to it as they loved it this year.
    The wife has also just passed her accountancy exams and will be looking for work in the new year, there will always be work for money counters. She's already had an accountant mate of mine sniffing around when he heard she'd taken her exams. Just awaiting the results which will be a foreskin conclusion as she's a bit of a swot.
  15. Our place has lost 4 of 17 drivers/delivery rounds over the last six months or so.
    It started when fuel prices got really out of hand and everything has to be kept tight, margins aren't huge.
    To the extent that lower volume customers have been binned as delivery costs outweigh profits in some cases.
    For the last year I have worked for the same employer as a relief driver for one company, as of Monday the company is taking me on themselves on a casual basis (mutually convenient) to save the premium they have been paying to the agency.
    My job is alright because I am flexable, if there is no work for a week or two I can cope but the blokes who depend on it for a living are struggling.
    The new working time directive will take a lot of cash out of the pockets of some of the drivers and increase their dependence on Tax Credits.
    The good news is that the Poles in the factory are heading home as the cash cow that Britain was for them no longer seems such a bargain. Its low paid unskilled work in there but it may provide the odd extra job for somebody with a family to feed. Seems lunacy to import labour/workers when there is a growing mountain of unemployed. Shite work but better than the dole.