How Safe is Morocco ?

I`ve got a female friend who`s going to Marrakesh with a couple of female friends for a holiday , staying 5 * hotel ,couple of weeks, nice idea or foolhardy ?

Marrakech is fine. It's touristy and reasonably Western although standard "don't go for a wander on your own at night when pissed" applies.

Couldn't spend a few weeks there though. You can see most of it in a couple of days. They'll have to do trips out to the desert for camels/buggies/"Bedouin "experience" or a multiday trip to the atlas mountains if that's their kinda things.
Area is popular with the French not surprisingly.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
I`ve got a female friend who`s going to Marrakesh with a couple of female friends for a holiday , staying 5 * hotel ,couple of weeks, nice idea or foolhardy ?
" La shukran Sidi" ("no thank-you Sir") seemed to be a key term that got rid of all mither for me. I've visited a few times, the last trip was 5months long.

I loved the place but would see more than Marrakesh if i had two weeks. Todra Gorge & Essaouira would be a definite couple of 2 day trips for me. Can recommend a couple of brilliant places to stay in both places too if they're interested. Tell them to find the old slave market holding cage in the Marrakesh souk too if they can - not on most tourist tours but a very chilling / remarkable place to see. If they like donkeys suggest a trip to the SPANA sanctuary in Marrakesh too.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
p.s. i made a point of staying away from any western kind of bars / restaurants - if something's going to happen those will be the targets. I'd guess a 5 star hotel will have top security though.

I'm afraid that I no longer consider anywhere in North Africa safe any longer. Everyone thought that Tunisia was safe, right up until it wasn't any longer.

I'm afraid that easier cross border travel in that part of the world, along with easier access to the tools for the job and local sympathisers mean anywhere with a reasonably sized western visitor population is not just fair game, but an obvious and easy target for a spectacular.

It's cheap for a reason, more and more westerners are not travelling to those parts of the world anymore. I, most certainly would not consider letting my family anywhere near the place.

Yes, ok, you can argue that spectaculars are taking place in mainland Europe all too often too, Paris, Brussels and that more are planned...but it's harder for them to operate here...not impossible, just harder.

If they go, the chances are nothing will happen, but 38 people last year though that it wouldn't happen to them either.

I'm not paranoid, and I've spent many years in the Middle East...but I'd never take my family knowingly to somewhere like Morroco any more....remember, there are many over there that want all westerners dead, just for the reason that they are western.

Still, you pays your money and all that, just don't come bleating if they are unlucky enough to be front stage of the next showpiece of how brave fighter can murder women and children.

My opinion, stupid to go, just stupid.

Poppy

LE
well if it's a 5* hotel they should be safe enough-as long as they don't venture out sight seeing

If they go, the chances are nothing will happen, but 38 people last year though that it wouldn't happen to them either.
That's not really a realistic approach though is it? 137 people in Paris thought it was OK to go out to a gig that night. Or 56 in London getting public transport or 191 in Madrid getting the train.

The things that make a place a target are so wide spread that you would have to be afraid of going out of your door to avoid it. Virtually anywhere where Native (and occasionally none native) Muslims and westerners meet in fact.

Morocco according to the FO is much safer than Greece, Spain or similar.

Never go anywhere where the people sound like they are clearing their throats when they talk- Arabic countries, Holland and Wales.

I'm afraid that I no longer consider anywhere in North Africa safe any longer. Everyone thought that Tunisia was safe, right up until it wasn't any longer.

I'm afraid that easier cross border travel in that part of the world, along with easier access to the tools for the job and local sympathisers mean anywhere with a reasonably sized western visitor population is not just fair game, but an obvious and easy target for a spectacular.

It's cheap for a reason, more and more westerners are not travelling to those parts of the world anymore. I, most certainly would not consider letting my family anywhere near the place.

Yes, ok, you can argue that spectaculars are taking place in mainland Europe all too often too, Paris, Brussels and that more are planned...but it's harder for them to operate here...not impossible, just harder.

I'm not paranoid, and I've spent many years in the Middle East...but I'd never take my family knowingly to somewhere like Morroco any more....remember, there are many over there that want all westerners dead, just for the reason that they are western.

Still, you pays your money and all that, just don't come bleating if they are unlucky enough to be front stage of the next showpiece of how brave fighter can murder women and children.

My opinion, stupid to go, just stupid.

**** me, how do you leave your house on a morning:mrgreen:

Morocco is ace. Even the sexual harassment of ladies is quite polite

Stay together, don't wander off drunk

And stop being so ******* paranoid

It's full of fat German expats that like boys, they can't run very fast with their slippers and floaty djellaba they'll get it first

Why go - there's so much of the world that isn't a stinking fleapit.

Latest Threads