How Russian Parlaiment Rubber Stamps Govt Wishes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zemlyak, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D

It happens in any and every parliament, at least Ukrainian one was fun to watch.

2. Well BBC is absolutely correct with this observation.

However, there are 650 MPs in the UK but apparently there are no enough chairs for all of them. But why? Why not to have a big hall as in Russian parliament?

3. If you make people stand at meetings, they tend to reach decisions quickly. The chairs are for the ones with big bellies who might crush someone if they fell over.

4. Tradition, old boy. And you'd never get the extension past the planners.

Apparently, I understand some MPs think it's better like it is to get the 'intimate' bear pit atmosphere. In anycase, if it could house all the MPs it would look even emptier on a normal working day.

KGB: Do Russian deputies get immunity for being Duma members? I presume this is why many of them try and get into politics.

5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

KGB, the H of Commons was gutted by a bomb during WW2. When it was to be rebuilt Churchill said it should not have seats for everyone to stop it looking too empty when not all MPs were there. But at least MPs have to vote with their actual bodies still, and have to scramble down in person to the H of C when the Division bells sound.

6. I haven't seen MPs standing as a crowd in the Parliament. They even don't bother to attend hearings and vote (mainly) according to directives issued by their parties.

In this respect there is no big difference beween Russian and British parliaments.

Yes, they have the immunity and it is a very attractive feature, especially for crooked 'businessmen'.

Yes, it is a serious distinction.

In the UK most MPs are unable to attend hearings and vote (of course personally) as their parties order.

In Russia the MPs are able to attend hearings but must not vote personally. Representatives of their parties vote for those who are absent.

However the result is the same. The majority of MPs are unaware what they vote about and don't take part in discussions.

7. Seems like a few seats round a table for those that do attend is all that's needed. May as well do away with the deputies' chamber.

Whilst, googling I did note a couple of Youtube vids of punch ups in the Duma, one of which the ever vocal Zhirinovsky took part in. He did get floored tho' as the guy he took on was a karate expert. No eggs were thrown tho'.

8. You do get a few MPs who actually have the balls to vote against their party on occasion (as well as the hard right/left nutters).

9. And how the hell do YOU know that? Are you an MP or did you read that in "Echo of Moscow"?

Don't bother answering.

10. And how the hell do YOU know he's inaccurate? Are you an MP or did you read that in "Echo of Moscow"?

Don't bother answering.

11. The UK parliament used to have an unofficial but regularly used protocol called 'pairing' whereby members did not need to be at a debate/vote as long as they had themselves paired off with an opposition MP who also was not attending. This operated up until 1996 when it was stopped as the tories were found to be cheating on the deal.

Now they just don't bother to turn up unless it's time to pick up their expenses.

12. It is sufficient to say that the Duma's speaker mr.Gryzlov once said:

Parliament isn't a place for political discussions.

However, I would like to repeat my point. Russia is not something unique. Many parliaments around the World use to be rubber stamping bodies. And it is applicable (maybe not 100% applicable) to the British Parliament as well.

Recently an MP from (pro-Putin) the United Russia, Olympic champion Svetlana Zhurova complained about poor discipline in the Duma

[​IMG]

http://www.molgvardia.ru/groupchanges/2010/06/01/17596

It is a known problem in Russian parliament.

With such a rule there would be no any difference with British parliament.

A typical session of the Duma

[​IMG]

I reffered not to the liberal Radio Echo of Moscow site but to the site of youth organisation of the United Russia.

13. An update on absentee deputies saga. Apparently they now won't be punished for not turning up for work:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/state-duma-wont-punish-absent-lawmakers/407531.html

Now where have we heard some of these excuses and reasons before, I wonder:

"Chairman of the Duma's Legislation Committee, said Thursday that a Public Chamber proposal to introduce legal sanctions for lazy lawmakers would be unconstitutional.

“The Constitution says the Duma's work is governed by its own rules, not by federal law. Let the Public Chamber read the Constitution,” Krasheninnikov, a member of the ruling United Russia party, told RIA-Novosti.""

Also, as KGB said:

"But Levichev admitted that the Duma's overall role was unsatisfactory.

“Parliamentary work does not depended on lawmakers' impressive speeches, because decisions are made inside United Russia’s faction,” he said."