How Russian army should be reformed?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Of course our dear PTP could lock or delete this thread. It would be absolutely right. However I dare to hope that it would not happen.

Tomorrow morning, BBC-Russian will ask the listeners excatly this question (placed as a title). I don't know why but each time I ring to BBC in Moscow they give me a way to say what I think about this or that topic.

I think that it would be fair to sound on BBC-Russian waves your propositions with reference to the ARRSE of course.

For example, is British model so perfect to be copied in Russia? In bullying still a problem in HM armed forces?

So I'm waiting for propositions.

Many thanks in advance!

2. A Russian colonel told me in Moscow last year that he wanted 2 things for the Russian Army. American kit and British NCOs.

3. You could stop beating your recruits to death, and take it from there.

4. Conscript our vast surplus of British scrotes, chavs and pikeys into the Russian army.

5. It's right.

Yes it's a serious problem. Luckily there are no beating in the British army.

I doubt that they would be good soldiers.

6. Called freedom of speech :D

Seriously though, the main problem are:

1. elite formations aside, the Russian army is staffed by the dregs of your society, as anyone who can either goes to university or pays a bribe to get out of it. If your willing able to crack down on such corruption the problem will, that will resolve itself, but as that isn't possible, go for an all contract force asap.

2. integrate the ministry of interior's troops into the regular army. Not doing so wastes money, makes command and control difficult, and leaves open the possibility that in future internal conflict, one force will find itself in confrontation with the other.

3. the russian army maintains stocks of 20,000+ tanks, but only uses 4,000. The same is the case for most other types of equipment. Stop wasting money on this. Most of this equipment is useless, and more to the point, knowone is trained to use it, and it would be a liability. If you still have paraniod dreams of a NATO invasion, invest in modern but idiot proof Anti-tank and anti-air missiles.

I'm sure there is more, but I'll leave it at that for now.

7. What do you think that the British Army is made up of?

8. Thank you Parapauk. The rich and those at power in any country (with draft system) are able to find a way to save their children from the draft. Soon russian army will be at least 50% contract one. But 100% professional army would be oo expensive.

During Chechen wars regular army and regimets of the ministery of interrior acted under common command. There were no problem.

Russian anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles are not bad even now. As I understand Russian leadership decides to invest in navy (especially in aircraft-carriers ad submarines) in missile technoliges (including high precision, satelite guided missiles and new generation of nuclear missiles), in new jew-fighters and bombers.

Of course Russia should not compete with USA. Why? But Russian army should be strong enough. So strong that the idea to attack Russia would not spring to mind. I mean everybody, even a madman.

9. I doubt that they would be good soldiers in Russian army. HM armed forces are the best in the World so there should be a secret (probably the most guarded in the UK) how to make a good soldier from literally anybody.

10. msr

msr LE

Molodets!

11. They've been doing it since the Napoleonic wars ... most squaddies in the early 1800's were drunk jailbirds and they beat the French when the frenchies were the people to beat.

12. Steady on! Crims often did military service instead of getting punished (some may have thought it the easy option) but there were plenty of lads who joined up because they wanted to, were conned by the uniforms, were drunk etc (just like today!).

13. After what happened to the last two madmen who tried it Sergey I would say with confidence that not even Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld high on crack would think that it could be done.

As to the Russian Army, the food is the worst I have ever encountered anywhere ever, in Kosovo we regularly made sure nearby Russian lads came around for a serious meal.

Shoot everyone involved with Russian armed forces catering and start again - I remember that poor Navy rations triggered a certain uprising once....

14. I think it is down to the British National characteristics, we are always up for a fight and not run away, we have a strong history to call on for pride, such as the British Empire and good order, we have always stood up to bullies, supporting the underdogs, whatever the odds we always plug away regardless, we are not prone to corruption and Regimental Honour and backing your mates are very important, letting them down is worse than death in many cases.

I think thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

15. Could you not make the shift to an all/mostly professional force and save conscription for emergencies? Smaller force, but a lot more quality? This would be going against the historical grain, mind you.