How revolting is this?

It is shit. Utter shit.

I feel the same way about the Baltic Markets in Liverpool - there the aesthetic is bare plywood rather than concrete. It is a collection of bars clustered around an old brewery which has at its heart a large open area, with bench seats and surrounded by food kiosks.

Most of the food is pretty good, but you can tell that they knocked it up with the hope of extracting maximum revenue for least investment.

All of the bars have different themes - one is like a huge off-licence, fridges in the foyer where you select your (craft) ale in a can, pay the bearded/tattooed hipster an extortionate amount of money before going to drink it in the beer garden.

But it was the ‘Peaky Blinders’ bar that made me lose the plot. It was like they took an industrial unit, chucked up a few posters from the TV series and made the staff wear flat caps then think they can charge twice the money for your beer. Oh no, it was EXACTLY f***ing that. When one of my drinking companions commented about how cool it was I pointed out loudly and in no subtlety about how f***ing stupid she was for buying into this crap. (And breath...).

There are a number of bars in Liverpool where the plywood theme has been repeated - yet there are also countless beautiful, classy, cool or just amazing bars in the city centre. Even where the Baltic’s market is based is stunning - a red brick, former brewery. They could have made it beautiful. Instead they decided to milk the morons.

Phots are of the external and of the food hall.
That food hall pic reminds me of Stables in Winchester.
Except they have proper solid tables, the prices are pretty fair and the food can be pretty good, or at least it used to be. The goat curry pie was a particular favourite.

That place seemed to be the prototype for this new "style" of bar.

It is shit. Utter shit.

I feel the same way about the Baltic Markets in Liverpool - there the aesthetic is bare plywood rather than concrete. It is a collection of bars clustered around an old brewery which has at its heart a large open area, with bench seats and surrounded by food kiosks.

Most of the food is pretty good, but you can tell that they knocked it up with the hope of extracting maximum revenue for least investment.

All of the bars have different themes - one is like a huge off-licence, fridges in the foyer where you select your (craft) ale in a can, pay the bearded/tattooed hipster an extortionate amount of money before going to drink it in the beer garden.

But it was the ‘Peaky Blinders’ bar that made me lose the plot. It was like they took an industrial unit, chucked up a few posters from the TV series and made the staff wear flat caps then think they can charge twice the money for your beer. Oh no, it was EXACTLY f***ing that. When one of my drinking companions commented about how cool it was I pointed out loudly and in no subtlety about how f***ing stupid she was for buying into this crap. (And breath...).

There are a number of bars in Liverpool where the plywood theme has been repeated - yet there are also countless beautiful, classy, cool or just amazing bars in the city centre. Even where the Baltic’s market is based is stunning - a red brick, former brewery. They could have made it beautiful. Instead they decided to milk the morons.

Plywood? Luxury. If you want pretentious shit, try this place in Tynemouth. Chipboard theme.

Blogg

LE
Except they have proper solid tables, the prices are pretty fair and the food can be pretty good, or at least it used to be. The goat curry pie was a particular favourite.

Plywood? Luxury.

During one of those a fleeting moments of semi freedom between lockdowns went to Manchester where the material of choice for shit overpriced bars appeared to be OSB.

It's tagged on to a Sainsbury's Local. That's novel. I wonder if you get Nectar card points with your pint?
No booze. Waaaaay to trendy for that.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bavarian eh? Will all the barmaids look like:

JS98926518.jpg

Hofbrauhaus-Rosemont-Server-credit-Johnny-Knight.jpg

young-waitress-serving-many-beers-600w-48384079.jpg

I was hoping to find a picture of a dark haired barmaid holding two large pitchers, and innocently Googled "brunette barmaid big jugs". This is the least explicit picture:

224bf5fd20ad9b6fa1a95e11017c68181455006009-17.jpg
nice jugs

It's not plywood, it's "multi-laminate".
There's several Micropubs (I've actually no idea what a micro pub is) in what they're calling the "Northern Quarter" of the seaside town in the North East that I live. The only Northern Quarter I can think of is a quarter of the dog shïte on the sea front. Turd polishing, or rolling it in glitter.

There's several Micropubs (I've actually no idea what a micro pub is) in what they're calling the "Northern Quarter" of the seaside town in the North East that I live. The only Northern Quarter I can think of is a quarter of the dog shïte on the sea front. Turd polishing, or rolling it in glitter.

I've been in a couple of micropubs and I don't like them at all. Basically a bar in a single-fronted shop, too small to have any atmosphere. Usually attract a small clique plus friends/family of the owner who monopolise the limited space, get in the way and look down their noses at other customers.

"Prototype" might just be the word.

The openness of it makes it easier to have as many people as far apart as possible if needed. So if there was ever another lockdown..... they can cope much easier (and still get a decent number of people in while socially distanced) than the traditional boozer can.

F*cking hell. So it's just a supermarket cafeteria that does live music on Saturday evenings?

I bet they're queuing up down the street.
I don't think they're connected to Sainsburys at all. An independent outfit.

God Almighty! It looks like no German bar that I have ever visited and partaken of multiple Pils or Koelsch. What a soulless dump!

I think that it's the British corporate take on authenticity. You give something an appropriate name and that's just about all you need to do.

I remember when Irish theme pubs were all the rage. You just renamed any old boozer 'Paddy McGinty's' or something similar, stuck an old bicycle in the window and the job was a good 'un.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I look forward to what the old CAMRA beardies will have to say about the place. Mind you, they're willing to overlook anything as long as there's a barrel of cask-conditioned Old Wânker lurking around somewhere.
that is spot on
I know a couple of them crusty old flat cap wearing sods with badges all over their waistcoats and bad teeth !

HCL

LE
It is shit. Utter shit.

Breathe deep and think of The Whie Star.

Latest Threads