How Physically demanding is Selection

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Any idea of how well you should do? Your best. Never aim to do any less than that. Dont have a minimum standard, give your best each and every time.

Mnay factors determine how well you will do, in particular your size, weight, but mainly (from what I can gather) how much preparation you've put in. Your only tested on two things, sit ups (of which 54 continuous ones must be completed, I think in two mins) and the 1.5 mile run, times for which vary but anyone worth their salt should be aiming for around 10.30. The Army Careers web site gives info on the other things you do on selection, they include a 20kg jerry can walk, dynamic lift etc,

There's a few threads about selection, preparing for it etc, full of useful and informed info so have a mooch around for them. And remember that no matter how much you train, work out and run, these things will still hurt. Look at top athletes when they're competeing, they still looked whacked. Good luck.

no, do your best give it your all, take the pain it wont be easy , but it will be rewarding
shut your mouth, open your ears
NEVER EVER SAY: "But this is how we did it in cadets"
personally i wouldn't even mention it
and enjoy it :)
good luck mate

For a start get the mods to change the title of this thread from 'selection'.

Slinging words like that will get you hung!!!!!

If you are asking questions about it on here you're wasting time in preparation, get out and do the mileage and at 16 you wanna be doind less than 9 minutes not feckin' 1030!!!!

:roll:

Harvo said:
Don't get the wrong impression but as i want to be a tankie im more bothered about my upper body especially arms
Well mate you should!
Especially concentrate on heaves to a beam and practice your press ups as these will be part of the tests you will have at the RSC!
And just because you want to be a tankie you shouldn't aim to give any less throughout the tests! remember Phase 1 training is the same for everybody in the army, its the transistion from civvy to soldier, who knows you might even change your choice of capbadge at Harrogate, Many do!

Still good luck.

numbered_3 said:
Harvo said:
Don't get the wrong impression but as i want to be a tankie im more bothered about my upper body especially arms
Well mate you should!
Especially concentrate on heaves to a beam and practice your press ups as these will be part of the tests you will have at the RSC!
And just because you want to be a tankie you shouldn't aim to give any less throughout the tests! remember Phase 1 training is the same for everybody in the army, its the transistion from civvy to soldier, who knows you might even change your choice of capbadge at Harrogate, Many do!

Still good luck.
:
oops: Should know this by know Havvro! Whatever requirments youll need for 2rtr will be stated after basic, you should get yourself in Cav anyway.

As for how demanding physically it is, it should be very demanding. Because you should be giving 100%. If we're talking minimum, then you can scrape through like a lazy bástard and find it easy. But you'll be spotted as a loser and you won't pass.

I just passed mine yesterday, I'm 21 and now I am aching like fúck today. Every muscle in my body hurts. My run was pretty slow (although still 2 minutes faster than I 'needed' to be for my Reg.) But I did really well in all the gym exercises and strength tests etc. I hadn't prepared at all for it (it's too much for me with my current work shifts, so I am quitting my job soon and getting my ass running before phase 1)

The minimum standard is 'easy', but you will put all your effort into it and find it hard. Any less and they'll notice this.

Harvo heres a bit of good old fashioned honesty recruit selection is a piece of piss the hardest thing for a 16 year old is keeping your confidence when surrounded by people you dont know I trained recruits for 2 years and provided you aren't a complete biff you'll be fine as already been said aim to do your best beat the man in front and if its you in front dont let them catch you remember head down arse up and run till you puke should easily do it matethe army is crying out for blokes what with all the ones with brains getting out to Iraq to work good luck man