How old were you when you were commissioned?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by error_unknown, Mar 15, 2005.

1. 19

2. 20

3. 21

4. 22

5. 23

6. 24

7. 25

8. 26

9. Older or, God forbid, younger...

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is just for my interest and to follow up a thread in Current Affairs...
  2. 37 years 3 months
  3. 20 - the first time
  4. 19 - and there was a 17 year-old in the company who MIGHT have been 18 on the glorious day...
  5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I became a cardboard cutout officer at 39 years and 1 month.
  6. 39 years and 10 months
  7. Twelvety..but that was a local regiment for local people...
  8. Average age current Scottish DEPOs is 26 next birthday, but the norm is slightly lower. I was almost 29 and that was very old when I commissioned. Don't think it would even merit comment nowadays.
  9. I'm about to start Sandhurst at 25 years 11 months.
  10. 14 days before my 19th Birthday - I was, for a while, the youngest officer in the Army. In hindsight, I should have got a life first................
  11. Became a cardboard cutout at 48 years and 9 months. Ten years after leaving the "real" Army whatever that was. Late developer I suppose.
  12. Turned 22 in the May, marched up the steps in the August.

Was on the Simple Minds Course (SMC35 to be precise), remainder of my platoon were, in the main, extremely immature spotty oiks from Welbeck - which made me question whether or not I'd done the right thing. Didn't realise that the Army took people like that, and wondered how on earth they'd got through the net and indeed RCB, only to discover that they didn't do RCB. Having only met my Father's chums, he then a serving officer too, niavely thought all officers were 'proper chaps'. They, the spotty oiks, used to call me 'Uncle' because they thought I was so old.......
  13. Are Welbexians still ghastly, then?
  14. Always have been, always will be! But at least it is some small comfort to the rest of us that most of them will have had the sh*t kicked out of them for a few weeks on Rowallen Coy.........
  15. Yes, although one or two seem quite relaxed these days...maybe I'm mellowing out in the fresh wide open air of civilian life.