How old is too old for RMAS??

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Rafterman, May 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm in the process of applying for a commission and up to now have only had a chat with my local recruiting officer. Whilst I know that they will take people up to 29 on entry to RMAS, what I want to know is 27 years old getting on a bit to be signing up??

Also, from what I have heard about entry dates to Sandhurst, I will be 28 by the time I actually get there!! :eek:

To cut a very long story short I was a long way down the road to getting to RMAS back in uni but one thing led to another and I fell into the 'comfortable' world of corporate life. 4 years down the road it really isn't what it was cracked up to be....!! :?

Do anybody have any experience/advice about 'late' entry to Sandhurst? What will life be like if I find myself in a regiment as a Lt at the age of 30?

One side of me says go for it and not worry about it....after all I would be there to do a job and not conform to an age limit!!

Thoughts on a postcard please!!

2. All depends what you are interested in commissioning into. 29 is the top age limit. Two people in my platoon turned thirty when I was there. One joined RLC one went to the signals. Also look at the Non graduate thread. Although it is not really aimed at someone like you, I recall that it had some points made on it about age etc.

From what I have experienced, its a bit late to be looking at Combat arms, but that doesn't mean don't go for it! Its just that I have seen older officer cadets being talked out of Inf/Cav etc. due to age and aimed at CS or CSS.

Hope this helps.

:D

3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

The only problem with commissioning aged thirty is that with the new (sorry- that shows my age!) time-served system you will not be eligible to promote to major until your late thirties. If you are thinking about staying in for the long haul, will you really want to be still a captain, on captain's wages, at that age?

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

It doesn't appear to be official (I looked on the Army Careers website to check), but I seem to recall from Sandhurst (in 2000) that although the absolute age limit was 29 for entry to RMAS, entry to combat arms effectively remained around 25. The only exceptions were those with prior experience (i.e. Sword of Honour winner CC032 went through RMAS as an ex-RMP Sgt (!), and joined LI. (RGJ wouldn't take him - "not their sort of chap" ex-soldiers, apparently... :roll: )).

5. I sent you a pm Rafterman - it might be of interest.

6. I'm at Sandbags on Monday as part of a RSB. I'll ask a few questions and see what the general feeling is for you.

7. I completed Sandhurst just over a year ago at the ripe old age of 27. At first I was told that I was to old to join combat arms and was directed towards arty and eng. However within a few weeks it was obvious that all options were open to me and I ended up joining the Infantry. What does need to be considered is the fact that you to cope with a spotty little git some years younger than you, having more pips and giving you orders. When at Sandhurst in my platoon I had two lads turn thirty while on the course. One ended in the RMP the other with the Royal Irish. All depends on you melad.

8. Thanks for your all of your advice! It is very much appreciated.

There are some interesting points to consider.....but none strong enough to put me off, in fact quite the opposite.

I will need to have a closer think about what arms I should head for...I was looking at RAC or RA as a first choice, but that doesn't mean CS or CSS are out of the question.

JOKER - I'm looking forward to hearing what the consensus of opinion is!

9. Rafterman: I did a bit of nosing around and asked a few of the old and bold. 23.5 to 24 years old is the target age (unofficially) for Combat Arms. Its not written down, but those making the decisions tend to use it as a rule of thumb.

Hope this clarifies for you.

Regards,

10. Does anything depend on the attitude of specific infantry regiments or others in the combat arms when it comes to considering someone older than most? (i.e. is each case treated individually as opposed to being governed by any rule or a preference for 'younger blood')

Red Chords - I sent you a PM, as I found your posting particularly interesting.

11. Cannot talk for all Regiments, but that is what I have experienced.

Regards,