How often do officers fight?

When I am old enough I plan on joining the royal marines as an officer.

Would a platoon commander go on patrols apart from fighting patrols and ambushes? would they go on recce patrols or standing patrols?

What about company and battalion commanders? I have heard a lot of people say that they don't fight even in company or battalion attacks. yet their are plenty of battalion commanders who lead the attack in the field with the rest of the men rather than back at an office. take lt. col H jones of 3 para for instance. He lead an attack on goose green in the falklands and got a VC. would they ever fight?

Platoon commanders do nothing in the Corps. Try reading up on the make up of a Commando Unit, they have Troops not Platoons.

If the Troop Sgt lets him the Troop Commander gets to go for walks with the lads.

Why are you asking about the Royal Marines on an (ostensibly) Army forum?

Platoon commanders do nothing in the Corps. Try reading up on the make up of a Commando Unit, they have Troops not Platoons.

If the Troop Sgt lets him the Troop Commander gets to go for walks with the lads.
Meanwhile, back in the real world .............................

Would a platoon commander go on patrols apart from fighting patrols and ambushes? would they go on recce patrols or standing patrols?

What about company and battalion commanders? I have heard a lot of people say that they don't fight even in company or battalion attacks. would they ever fight?
If you are genuinely what your profile states, you would be better off going elsewhere for advice. I realise of course that I have given you advice on this site, which goes against my advice, but there you go.

Section / multiple, platoon & company commanders usually don't use their weapons in "an attack" as they are busy issuing orders / trying to maintain an element of control & cohesion over their subordinates / Jocks / toms or on the radio. If they are then the situation's generally went tits up.

Why are you asking about the Royal Marines on an (ostensibly) Army forum?
He's in the cadets forum telling the world how MTP doesn't work as well, so expect anything

Meanwhile, back in the real world .............................

What about company and battalion commanders? I have heard a lot of people say that they don't fight even in company or battalion attacks. yet their are plenty of battalion commanders who lead the attack in the field with the rest of the men rather than back at an office. take lt. col H jones of 3 para for instance. He lead an attack on goose green in the falklands and got a VC. would they ever fight?
H Jones was 2 PARA

What about company and battalion commanders? I have heard a lot of people say that they don't fight even in company or battalion attacks.
You have a lot to learn.

In simple terms, if an officer has to fire off a round, then all has turned to shit and its damn close to every man for himself.

Until that time, he (or she these days) has a full time job trying to understand what is going on around them, constantly making plans to deal with contingencies, rearranging assets as the situation unfolds, and updating his or her superiors on the situation.

No section or platoon commander will want you hanging around - it will unsettle the troops, make him/her nervous about stuffing up, and can only lead to confusion. AsI was told, "if you don't trust your subordinate commanders then replace them, if you do, keep out of the way and let them do what they are best at".

BUT - you also need to be aware that the moment things turn to shit, the NCO goes down, or mass bottle is lost in a moment of confusion, then its your job to step up to the mark and take control instantly with the right decisions delivered in a very forceful manner.

Thats what you are paid for.

Sorry I meant troop. Why's it called a troop if the royal marines are an infantry regiment (not in the actual infantry but you know..)

He's in the cadets forum telling the world how MTP doesn't work as well, so expect anything
well from what I've seen (which is not very much. sorry) mtp is not as good as dpm. I know it is a mix of desert and woodland dpm because 1) patrols can go from desert to woodlands in a few seconds and 2) the MOD can't afford to make 2 uniforms. It still doesn't look very good though.

well from what I've seen (which is not very much. sorry) mtp is not as good as dpm. I know it is a mix of desert and woodland dpm because 1) patrols can go from desert to woodlands in a few seconds and 2) the MOD can't afford to make 2 uniforms. It still doesn't look very good though.
No, you haven't seen much. MTP is designed, as you have been REPEATEDLY told, to be the good for where you are now, not perfect for somewhere else.

The MoD *can* afford 2 different uniforms for everyone, it's the troops getting changed part when in changing terrain that causes the problems

GW1 we had trops to begin with shit in the sandy bits, not so bad in the occasional wet/woody bit. Then 91 pattern turned up and it swapped over. Camouflage isn't just about disappearing, or else black wouldn't be used in the arctic, google "Dazzle" camouflage.

In the meantime, listen to what you're being told by the grown ups