how often are you practising with service pistols?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by medic-matt, Dec 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The title says it all really. How often are you allowed by your unit to use pistols for practice (when not deployed)?
    I've not found a great deal of info on here, so I'm just wondering.

Merry xmas by the way lads.

2. The only time in 20 years i've used pistol on a range is just prior to a tour.

3. Does that explain your limp? :D :D

4. You've lost me on that one mucker!

5. Once. The weekend before the International Reserves competition (or whatever it's called) at Altcar.

We was sh1t, as was just about every other UK unit (Army, RAF and RMR).
    Cloggies were good, I think the Huns won the pistol event though.

Consensus on here a while ago that pistols are a liability, which is why we don't use them very often.

6. Foot........ shooting into? :D :D

7. I still don't get it. I'm not allowed to use live ammunition. They issue me with blank rounds or a water pistol so it's impossible to shoot myself in the foot! :D

8. How are pistols a liability? as long as you appreciate that they are self defence weapons for close quarter engagements, and take regular practice to be proficient, they do what they say on the tin..some are clearly better and easier to use than others, but if you're able to practice, you could well have anywhere between 12 and 18 life saving rounds before a reload - especially if you get closed down or are injured. I wouldn't underestimate the value of good pistol shooting, but obviously thte "effective" range of a pistol in a live engagement is a great deal less than standing at the 20M firing in slow time!

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

When competing seriously, I would burn 5,000 rds a year. VERY few Units will be able to sustain that.

You do, however, need "academic time" on the range, rather than just putting rounds in the sand - time and flexibility to analyse, and reflect, and try again. It can't be done as part of a large group of people.

The L9A1 is still one of the best pistols going, for accuracy and reliability. 9mm FMJ is not, however, the World's greatest stoppin round at anything other than very short range. But the combination will still put rounds on a Fig 11 at 200 metres - accurately.

10. Their not, the fecking person with his hand on it is the liability, unlucky for Arrse, the john wayne who whoops had a ND just above my head.

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Too many people have seen the films, mate.
    They make it look soooo easy! :wink:

12. Rarely. Despite being pistol trained for quite some time, it wasn't until I did my recent ops shooting package for Herrick 12 that I got to fire the Browning and do a AWA on it and I am due to do a AWA on SIG sometime in the new year.

I guess it all depends on your unit but certainly as an armoured corps soldier I suspect now we have the carbine we probably use pistols a lot less than we may have in the past.

13. On my second Ireland Tour, I used to shoot off the 13 rounds I had been carrying for the past six days down the pipe range at Moscow, and drew another 13. There never seemed to be a problem..

On my last couple of tours in sandy places, getting hold of 9mm was a complete nause.. and I ended up shooting only a dozen or so.. Since the demise of the SMG, UK seems to have been rocking along on about a pallet of 9mm a year, so draw your own conclusions...!

14. Well, I'm not the only one then. It is a shame that we don't get much use of them at the moment.
    Pistol shooting is particulary difficult to become proficient at, so more exposure than we currently get is required to maintain our skills.
    I wonder if it's possible to try and arrange a regular competition with friendly forces, therby creating the need to train.
    It may well be a long shot, but perhaps worth it? If the Army doesnt see much of a need for pistol shooting operationaly, we need to give them a reason to increase their use.