How NOT to throw a grenade !

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fail !

Good idea to have a trench with a tree in front for cover!

Lucky it wasn't one of these

Attachments

Mr_Deputy said:
tropper66 said:
what are they? :?
Coconuts, you cut them in half and you can pretend you are riding a horse.

Just don't mention the swallows.

They make a F***ing big bang though. As I was taking the Photo the Shrapnel was going past my head, not one of my best ideas

Attachments

Mr_Deputy said:
biffins-bridge said:
Mr_Deputy said:
tropper66 said:
Looks like a Mills No36 Mk1

Chooo wooo sorry got to go the 11 40 from Glasgow is due to pass in a minute :oops:
WAH!! Hurrah huurahh I got a WAH! :) made my day. Your spotter urge was too strong.
I deny the wah, you wanted me to say "It's a hand grenade".

And I'm not a spotter, my wife really appreciates my collection of WW1 brass mills bomb base plates. :D :D

On my first trip to the grenade range back in 1976 I was waiting for my turn to throw, with two of Royal Ordnance's finest primed and clutched in my sweaty mitts. From the next bay we could hear the instructor's voice...

"Prepare to throw....throw!

Pause

"Throw!"

Longer pause.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE THROW THE F*CKING THING!"

Pause ....BANG!

:lol:

Rodney2q

Mr_Deputy said:
vampireuk said:
Mr_Deputy said:
tropper66 said:
Coconuts, you cut them in half and you can pretend you are riding a horse.

Just don't mention the swallows.
You deny me my WAH with your coconut clip-clop clap trap. You'd never get coconuts that far north anyway.
It could have been an African Swallow....

It seems that everyone has a hand grenade story so here's mine:

During training we reported to the grenade range and the first few throws from the bays went exactly as the pamphlet intended, however the fourth or fifth grenade to be lobbed was a blind. For some reason, the Platoon Commander decided that it would hold up the range too much to go and find it and blow it up so he 'made a mental note of where it had landed' and got us to crack on.

Unsurprisingly, after another twenty odd grenades had been thrown nearby, it wasn't where he last saw it when it came round to getting the dems box out at the end of the practice.

His solution? Get us in an extended line from the throwing bay and advance up the range looking for this unexploded (and likely shrapnel encrusted) grenade! Despite having only a few weeks service under our belts, even we thought this was a bad idea but got on with it until it was located somewhere in the long grass and finally disposed of. How we laughed, not.

Ooooh. Bangy grenade thingys :pissedoff:

Takes me straight back to basic. Sgt T.... - broadest Yorkshire accent you've ever heard....

"Take the grenade in your right hand .... so."

"Pull out the pin."

"Turn through a nangle of nainety degrees."

Throw the grenade - and run like fooook the other way!"

M... H..... could take him off to a tee - until he caught him at it one day!

Wasn't there something about the different time delays on the fuses and rubber bands? Never could remember that (I know - if you can count to 6 then its a ten second fuse or something!)

Eeeee lad. The little gray cells are having a hard time nowadays....

GMOB