How not to run a range

Guesting on a range with the London Scottish. One Cockney Jock has a "runaway gun" with his GPMG. In the excitement of the moment he forgets his IA drills and instead throws his arms in the air, shouting "look! No hands!"

How we laughed as his PSI smacked him around the "heed" with a shovel.

V!

You can always see when it's a Septic firing a Sterling. For some reason, they want to hang onto the mag, instead of gripping the weapon properly. Why?

MsG

Bugsy7 said:
You can always see when it's a Septic firing a Sterling. For some reason, they want to hang onto the mag, instead of gripping the weapon properly. Why?

MsG
'Cos that's what they do in Hollywood. Good enough for Hollywood it's good enough for the "Military".

Apart from The Wild Geese the only film I can think of featuring the Small Metal Gun was Star Wars.

But yes, WW2 films are full of Hollywood actors blatting away with Sten guns holding the magazine as a ersatz stock.

V!

Vegetius said:
Apart from The Wild Geese the only film I can think of featuring the Small Metal Gun was Star Wars.

But yes, WW2 films are full of Hollywood actors blatting away with Sten guns holding the magazine as a ersatz stock.

V!
Beg to differ actually, Veg. If memory serves, there was a film made (I think from a Tom Clancy book) about "Da Trobbles" in Norn Iron. It starred Harrison Ford and his missis and kid get splattered by a Sterling when the squaddie holding it trips over. Can't remember the name of the film, but I'm sure somebody else in the board'll come up with it.

MsG

Nice to see the small metal gun again. Twat couldn't even take the mag of un aided. FFS!

Small Metal Gun also appeared in Robocop, with a convenient extended barrel allowing the eponymous hero to bend the barrel through 90 degrees.

Also OHMSS in the hands of George Laserbeams as Bond

And Fatal Beauty with Whoopi Goldberg. Used by the villain who after Goldberg has emptied a Winchester rifle into him pulls open his coat to reveal....body armour

"Kevlar bitch!"

Unpeturbed Whoopi draws the big shiny revolver she's picked up and replies;

"Smith & Wesson asshole"

as she opens a hole up in his forehead.

QRK2, it had a bog standard perforated barrel jacket with the extra barrel length uncovered emerging from the muzzle

Think it may have been an example of the extended barrels whacked on a range of semi-auto smg/carbines to make them legal in the US, like this Uzi 'rifle'

I never fully understood why they ditched the Sterling in the first place. It was squaddie-proof, dead easy to maintain, had no big complicated bits like on the SLR (itself a superb weapon), or little complicated bits like on the Browning HP, or madly complicated bits like on the useless SA80. It had one of the best-designed mags, a fixed firing-pin and when you "roostered" (coz of the censor thingy) it and squeezed the little metal bit, it went bang. The only slightly fiddly thing was getting the "roostering" lever back into the little hole in the breech block.
Why didn't they just chrome the barrel-sleeve and the folding stock, slap a Pickatinny rail along the top and tell everybody it was a new design? Rant over.

MsG

The SMG was the ideal weapon for the front seat passenger - short and makes noise (and so does the SMG). My one crib was that the roostering lever had a habit of prising your ribs apart when you slung it over your back.