How Not to Recruit

Lifted this from the Using the Phone Thread:

wellyhead said:
Not sure if this is the right place but can someone please answer me this question

If recruitment is so important why put up a phone number that is never manned, you leave a message and get zero reply

Also why do teams never reply to emails ?

So where else are we getting it wrong so that we can learn by our own and others' mistakes?

For the love of God please

* take down defunct unit websites (yes, I mean YOU, www.army.mod.uk)
* at the very least divert "under construction" websites to something useful

No, get a grip and get the sites updated. It isn't hard.

Oh, and don't try selling the TA by standing around on the High Street. People think "So that's what you do in the TA: spend Saturday afternoon standing around on street corners."

Dont put recruits on a Recruitment stand. People would argue "Oh but they are still in training so its fresh in their heads"... But when they start walting about what they did on weekend five at Warcop or how many million rounds of blank they fired it Bores potential recruits. Get the RRTT to deal with recruitment. I suggested having a similar idea to reg bn's by having a dedicated recruiting team!

Get the kit out - blokes LOVE handling Sniper rifles, even the SA80 optics are a rich seam of amusement.

Get the TI out and tune it so that you can see the outline of womens underwear.

Its true I did a taster day with the marines and one of the stands was on the range with SA80's converted to .22 calibre and while you waited there was a room with all the weapons they use the from the 9mm browning to the GPMG to the sniper rifles and range finders great fun taking the sniper rifles outside and aiming at people
So I reckon either A) get the kit out and let people play or B) taster days i dont know if this is done already but they are great fun and a relativly easy way iof putting across the best points of your unit.
Rusty

I agree with bad crow , why send sproggs ? the same go be said for sending welfare cases
hardly the type of blokes you want to send the ''Army is good'' message to potential
recruits .My unit always sends the knobbers and the sickies to the RIT , i am not
bitter who wants to home for a few weeks posing around town with my gongs
impressing the local females .

Freshly trained soldiers are only good for one thing and that is relaying a true and up to date account of what CMS(R) is like, this is specifically why they only get used as "satisfied soldiers" in the ACIO's

Much better to get someone to tell it as they have seen it and nothing more, when probably the most daunting thing about joining for most people is the actual training.

However, the true recruiters are ones that can stand on a soap box, sell ice to the eskimoes and ones that can work under the pressure of rejection whilst still keeping a smile for the next punter.

But above all, they have to be willing or they wont have anything like the passion required a prodcut that they really believe in!

My old TA unit has a dedicated recruiting team. If they do need extra people to do the stand bit at open days and fairs etc they always send experienced people with at least a couple of stripes

Thats how it should be, the auld addage "ambassadors" should be a priority, they should be the face of the unit and should resemble the sort of people in terms of image and professionalism that you are trying to attract ;)

abacus said:
Lifted this from the Using the Phone Thread:

wellyhead said:
Not sure if this is the right place but can someone please answer me this question

If recruitment is so important why put up a phone number that is never manned, you leave a message and get zero reply

Also why do teams never reply to emails ?

So where else are we getting it wrong so that we can learn by our own and others' mistakes?
Ok, well lets name names.

1. Salisbury ACIO, took a friend in on a Saturday(she works all week) the place was full of TA, they tried to get her to join, even though she is adament that its a different job she's after and then take her details promising weakly to get someone from the ACIO to call her. Still waiting...

2. RMP officer recruiting, messages left with a PA, promises a call to a very keen potential recruit. Several weeks later..NFTR.

Not good enough.

Just got a PM from a poster who wishes to remain anonymous (fair one as he is quite well known and his unit would be instantly recognisable). I post this here not as a whinge, but as an example of exactly HOW NOT TO DO IT:

I can remember my original attempts at trying to join the TA. Local adverts seen at train station (actually in the subway stinking of urine and used by less than half of the visitors at the station..) said to drop in any time between 7.30 and 9.30 on Tuesday and Friday nights.
The TAC is out of town, in a well ropey area, but I managed to track down the bus routes and get out there on a tues night. Muggins walks up to the gate and after hanging around a bit the guard appears (had been on walkaround, gate locked, broken intercom by look of things) asks what he can do for me. Said I was interested in joining, he wrings folks up stairs and I'm told that the bloke who does it was not in tonight, come back some other time. So I wait half an hour for the next bus and go back home. Wasted evening number 1.

I go in on the following Friday only to be told they'd all left on exercise, so another wait for a bus and go home... Lucky I'm a persistant fatherless. Wasted evening number 2.

Tried calling the office but the number was never answered when I tried.

I go in on the following tuesday and have luck, recruiting bod fairly informative and suggests some dates and if I'm interested to bring in some paperwork (id, references etc). I get his office number - should help.

Paperwork complete I call the TAC on another Tuesday to arrange dropping it off for him, he's not in. I call a few more times no help. He calls me but I miss it, call back to that number and am introduced to the wonders of the MOD switch board... Lovely.

Eventually I end up on the TAFS scheme which was pretty well run. However there was some paperwork cockup to do with my CMS(R) which appeared after I arrived there - fortunately got it sorted but faced a 4 hour drive back home on the day I arrived, my loading onto which was pretty last minute (congrats to the PSI - did a really good job and was the only person who seemed concerned about me or wanted to lend a hand). Maybe I'm just a loser that no one likes. I had taken part on an ex inbetween TAFS and CMS(R) but the most challenging part of it was being stuck on the sentry point and told to stand there - no weapon, no instructions how to do the job, just wet... It took them about 4 hours to realise I was still there and send a relief. Got to see some of the dets in action too which was useful for deciding trades.

Hmm, why did I stay? Not sure, probably to some excellent comradarie and the challenges involved along with undying patriotism and a wish to get sent to some sandy/dusty place with inadequate equipment training and support from folks at home.

abacus said:
Just got a PM from a poster who wishes to remain anonymous (fair one as he is quite well known and his unit would be instantly recognisable). I post this here not as a whinge, but as an example of exactly HOW NOT TO DO IT:

I can remember my original attempts at trying to join the TA. Local adverts seen at train station (actually in the subway stinking of urine and used by less than half of the visitors at the station..) said to drop in any time between 7.30 and 9.30 on Tuesday and Friday nights.

Tried calling the office but the number was never answered when I tried.

Oh, oh! I recognise that one; except you leave a message and they never call you back. When you finally do get through the promised letter doesn't turn up (that's twice now). Or they leave it until two days before the actual event.....

Put it this way, if this was a company I was trying to use I would have gone to a competitor long ago.
Unless it's some kind of weird initiative/persistance test. Do I get my free lolipop?

Corn.
Who'll be on the phone again on Monday... :(

Cornelius,

Name and shame them!

msr

msr said:
Cornelius,

Name and shame them!

msr
Better not as I might be persona non grata; though it takes the iq of a walnut to work out which unit it is from my previous posts.... :lol:

Corn.

Bring back the KAPE tours. Keep Army in Public Eye. It meant all regiments getting involved when the tours went around the UK and in each regimental area the local regiment contributed.It worked in the past.