How NOT to be attacked by viscous wasps OR hornets.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Effendi, Jul 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Several years ago I saw, and bought, a widget called the "Waspinator" to keep wasps out of the garden as we were living in a village and used to be plagued every year we even had a huge nest in the attic.

Anyway, I saw the Waspinator and thought, "yeah, ok, more septic sales bs, but I'll give it a go". It worked so I read up on the subject and found out why it worked.

[​IMG] <---- Waspinator

Apparently wasps and hornets are territorial. If they stray onto the patch of another stingy thing then they are likely to be attacked so they avoid contact with other none same nest wasps or hornets whenever possible. The waspinator works on the principle that to a wasp or hornet it looks like a wasp/hornet nest. The wasp/hornet does not recognize it as its own nest so it does a runner before it is noticed. Yes it works.

The waspinator is basically a fabric bag that is mottled with a couple of grey tones to give the illusion to a wasp/hornet that it is a nest. Brown paper bags also work - you first sort of screw them up to give them a variable outer texture then you fill them with air or old Tesco carrier bags and dot them around outside in the garden. I read of a bloke who puts around 100 out every year to keep his garden wasp/hornet free.

Personally, I couldn't be doing with picking up soggy brown bags at then end of the summer or replacing washed out waspinators so I came up with my own solution.

I get used 1 gallon/5 litre plastic jugs, de-label them, spary over a light dusting of grey primer or light sandy colour, loosely wrap masking tape around the container, spary again with a darker colour, remove masking tape and then spray very lightly with a third different colour. Using three colours gives a look of depth.

Then bang a hole in the bottom, thred through some rope and hang it in a tree, porch, next to a sh*d, wherever. Oh yeah, make sure you take the top off so that water can drain through.

This technique has worked in the UK, Germany, Florida and Pennsylvania:

The last one is in the tree where the nipper has his rope and swing and he never gets bothered by wasps or hornets.

For those of you who have read this far a little gem: If you are still serving and find yourself in locations where you may well have to lay up and be annoyed by wasps or hornets make up a couple of brown fabric bags and spray them up mottled then put them around your location. A Speshul snipist I know tried it and he uses them all the time now.

No need for the ex-GF to beat your back with a stake.;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks for the thought but there's already a nest of the blighters. I doubt putting a 'false' nest near it will do any more than upset them further.

I'm going at the brutes on Thursday - when I have the day off and time to buy pipes and fuel.
  3. When we moved to PA we found there was a nest in the eaves above a window. I strung one of these up in the line of flight to the nest and sprayed a bit of wasp nukem around. When they flew out of the nest they did not return and in 3 days the problem was gone.

Just put out some crumpled grey / brown bag like things and see what happens.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  5. Viscous wasps, so they are thick and sticky then?
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Ok, so I didn't quite make the keystroke on the "i"...............lazy, stupid, both maybe?

But, the wasp thing works.
  7. The opportunity was just not to be passed up.
  8. No offence Effendi, but we have intelligent wasps in the UK. I believe from watching "Billy the Exterminator" that you have a few different species.
    Yes, wasps are territorial. But not only does it depend on a nest being in the vacinity, it also relys on wasps actually being present.
    As nests only last for 1 year, new ones being built afresh by the new queen each spring, any "nest" without wasps entering would be seen as old and would not worry them un-duly.

I'm sure you have had some success, but that might also be co-incidental rather than factual evidence of its effectiveness.
  9. I suspect you may be in the wasp killing business.
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Well well. We get half a dozen wasps nests a year around the place and if they are near a building I zap them with wasp killer spray from B&Q. If they are not near a building I arrange several bottles of petrol around then torch the ******* at sunset. But this year we have a bee nest near a window. I am reluctant to torch bees because they are fluffy and lovely. I shall try the waspinator and report back.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. He is indeed a mass murderer of several species of pest!
  12. I was told it don't work on bee's. Worth a go though.
  13. I know we have intelligent wasp's in the UK. I first used the widget in the UK. We lived in Norfoflondonshire and had quite a wasp problem in the village's. I saw the waspinator on a shelf on Wallyworld whilst on a US holiday and invested $5 dollars in a couple of 2 packs that I strung the waspinators up around the garden and one over the porch for the back door. After investing a kings ransom I was interested to see if the principle worked. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did - Waspinator is very popular in Germany too.

I had messed around with jam jars half full of water with a spoonful of honey or jam inside causing the wasps to drown. That method though whilst killing the feckers acted to attract them in order to kill them. The faux nest causes them to go through a "**** me, strange nest alert, better fly on" sort of a routine.

There is lots of pukka science and anecdotal evidence regarding the for sale waspinators and the self made ones that points in the direction of the theory being more than sound.

However, in the real world you could have one wasp nest and then another 10 feet away. This means you have to strategically place faux nests where they will be of the greatest deterance.

No, exterminators don't like them because it does them out of a potential earner of 120.00 for eventually spraying a nest - I put on a hat, gloves, old net curtain draped over the top and sprayed a 3.50 can of wasp nest killer into the last nest I destroyed in an attic, saved 116.50.

I have used the technique of faux nests for around 7 years now and since starting I have had zero wasp/hornet problems.
  14. There be money in them bees. Get in touch with the local apiarist and offer to sell him a queen. He'll be round to have a smoke with them rendering them fluffier and lovelier before taking them away to join the other queens in his collection.
  15. He mentioned inspecting the KFC in Beeston - there's a touch of drain sniffer about him