how much weight do you carry?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by michaelshane06, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi i was just wondering how much weight they carry on there back in the army as i want to start running with a rugsack but don't know how much to way it down with and what is best to way it down with.

Mod Edit.

Read some of the advice in this thread with caution.

As has been said in this thread do not train seriously with weight before joining, concentrate on cardiovacualr training.

Phase 1 is more focused on basic fitness rather than weight carrying ability.

Running with weights without understanding what you are doing can lead to long term skeletal damage and will both mess up your career but also the rest of your life.
  2. Running with bergans just leads to more injuries in the long run. Cardiovascular fitness and a bit of determination is what is required in the Army. Nothing beats normal running for that. Unless you're going for SF selection or something similiar where it's a good idea to get used to carrying a heavy begen for hours on end everyday then there is little point. In basic training you won't do that many tabs.

If you ignore the above then 35 - 40lb would suffice and spread the weight out in your daysack/bergen evenly with a little more of the weight closest to your back.
  3. Do you mean rucksack?
  4. Maybe he's made a sack out of his mums rug?
  5. :lol: Lmao my bad rucksack was the word i was looking for.
  6. dont there is no need
  7. Speak to the RAF, they must carry more than any. You'll get used to carrying more weight as you progress through you career. Trust me
  8. Carry weight - you dont!!

work on strength and stamina, wait til you get to Phase 1 and 2 when your instructors will build you up gradually to carrying weight.

You dont want to hurt yourself now, and be deferred do you??
  9. true just thought i'd ask as i was gonna start training with weighted down rucksack. but as you people said they will build me up when i get to basic. I just want to better my self before i go in the army thats all.
  10. Nothing. Why carry your equipment when your equipment can carry you?

11. Im just the man to answer this thread..... dont you think?
  12. As has been said before, don't run with weight if you don't have to. You are much more likely to do yourself an injury.

There is however some benefit in carrying weight. It builds up strength in the shoulders and legs.

I would suggest that you start off with about 25-35 lbs in a daysack and hit the hills. Walk, don't run, and stay out for at least a couple of hours. As you get stronger you can increase the weight, but I wouldn't ever go much above 50lbs. I've known people train by walking up and down flights of stairs with rucksacks, but personally prefer the real thing.

As with all training, you should vary what you do and make sure that you take at least a day off a week. You don't want to start Basic with an injury.

It's true that the course will build you up, but things will go a lot easier for you if you are one of the fitter guys on the course. The DS always concentrate on the last few in.

13. All the above is good valid info Michael and another alternative is to buy a good daysack and put about 30llbs in it and carry it while you walkign round town etc but dont run or train with it. this way you get your shoulders used to carrying weight with running the risk of injury

14. Whats the point in doing that as when he gets to Catterick he will only start off carrying 10lb and will only go 3 miles
  15. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

50-100 press ups, 50 - 100 sit ups, and 5 - 10 pull ups a day (a pull up bar on your bed room door would be a great idea - only allow yourself in to the room after 5 pull ups, and don't worry if you can't do them all straight after one another. Go for straight arm quality). Run 2-3 miles, 3 times a week with no weight, aiming to run 1 and a half miles best effort in less than 9 minutes (8 mins 12 seconds would be brilliant).

If you turn up at Basic able to do these things, you'll be a legend.

As for training for weight, I'd second the advice above. Go to the hills whenever you fancy it carrying nothing more than your wets proofs, a snack, water, a flask and your map and compass. Spend your time practising basic navigation and don't worry about thrashing yourself.