How much warning would we have had if Ivan had come West?

Had a read through the thread and managed to pick up a copy of 'Red Army' by Ralph Peters, very good read, however just wondered how likely would it have been for the US to have just stopped and pulled back (In the book they are given 15 days to withdraw completely from Germany as part of the cease fire deal) if the West German Government had called for a cease fire with the Russians, or would they have decided to carry on and go for a nuclear release without the sanction of the other NATO members?.

ugly

LE
I always wondered if the Russians were really bothered about the west in the same wayy that we were. Yes they had suffered terribly at the hands of the Germans and even though we rearmed our half we certainly wouldnt have let them roll eastwards again.
I now look back and see the Russians and GSFG as the bait holding us in Europe whilst they got on at the sidelines, Africa, Asia etc.

ugly said:
I always wondered if the Russians were really bothered about the west in the same wayy that we were. Yes they had suffered terribly at the hands of the Germans and even though we rearmed our half we certainly wouldnt have let them roll eastwards again.
I now look back and see the Russians and GSFG as the bait holding us in Europe whilst they got on at the sidelines, Africa, Asia etc.
Interesting theory, but what success did they really have outside of europe? Vietnam? Technically, but that's really a Chinese party. North Korea was a Chinese benefit also. They made themselves look stupid with the Ogaden nonsense. The rest of Africa seems to have been dealt with at arm's-length via Cuba; they managed to create a lot of mayhem and supplied a lot of arms, but a distinct dearth of grateful client-states. The only real success they seem to have had is flogging(that's as opposed to giving away) arms to any arab with dollars to burn, and thereby helping to destablise the mid-east and wreaking havoc on the western/NATO economies. The less said about their Afghan adventure the better. :wink:

As regards the original post: I enjoyed General Hackett's book but thought he was perhaps a bit optimistic about our chances, 'Red Storm Rising' was a good read but lacking in reality(mistaking an Abrams for a T72? Get your eyes tested! 8O ), The book about the canuck tankies was fantastically detailed as you would expect from something developed from a training manual. Mindful of current events in Georgia, hopefully none of us will ever find out how realistic any of them are/were.

Ugly
Now that is interesting and worth pondering. However maybe we could take it a bit further, if they had constant success on the fringes then European morale would have dropped further and the fruit become 'ripe for picking'.
What you say makes sense, but I think that with a major domination of The Sov Union in the wider world then Europe would have reached a point where an incursion would have been successful as defeat would have been expected.
Bear in mind that Reagan and Maggie reversed a trend of wimpy politicians, up to then the Sovs were making ground and looking for the right political moment. Ronnie and Maggie made sure that moment never happened, prior to that the politicians policies were all that the Sovs could have liked, and they were in no hurry.
So rather than just bait, I think the GSFG had a double purpose, the second being to await the moment when the political will of the Sovs decided that the time was right.
I also think that they would have gone for bites of the cherry, and had they just taken say Germany but handed NATO a smacking then Europe would have had to have become subservient and followed their directions.

An endless debate.

ugly

LE
I never said they were successful did I? Now its just a thought but had they been what would the western world look like today?

Latest Threads