How much time is it really?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by MajorJon, Jul 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well , as a student in his last year of college as of September and who is looking to start Law at university in the year after, I am currently a trainee Special Constable (volunteer police officer) with a major English force.

I also want to join the local TA unit (Transport Squa
    dron of RLC) , but as above , I am also a student an[FONT='Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif]d a special constable. My minimum commitment as an SC woul[/FONT]d have to be 200 hours per year (equivalent of 16 hours a month but really you can distribute it how you please)

I want to know if I woul
    d actually find juggling TA , SC and student a hassle? Would this be achievable?

The real question is how much time
    does the TA actually take? I'm so far not too keen on OTC as I want to be a real soldier ;)
  2. Where did you **** and paste this from with it's changing person and ever altering typeface?
  3. My laptop is fucked up so I have to copy and paste the letter "d" until I get it fixed. Something to do with that.
  4. It depends... Josh lewsey managed to be a regular officer cadet at sandhurst, whilst playing for wasps. I. Sure if they like you they will make allowances
  5. An evening a week and maybe 2 weekends a month, plus a 2 week annual camp. I managed to do 3 jobs and still managed to squeeze training in, but then again I used the training as a bit of a break!
  6. How many OP Tours ?

7. I would check first if you can be both a special constable and a member of the armed forces at the same time.

Certain professions bar you from becoming a SC and I think armed forces is one of them.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As a recruit, two weekends per month on average plus one night per week. In theory, you could manage all three.

However, you face spending every weekend doing one or the other of your activities and thus not spending enough time on your studies. Pick one and go for it, leaving the remaining time for study and enjoying your time as a student.
  9. None, but then I only finished CIC at the beginning of the year!
  10. Its now 7 months later.............
    commitment phobe !!!!!!!!!!!
  11. You've lost me.
  12. Its the Phase I training that will take up most time, and cause the most issues.

The programme is progressive and if you can't make a weekend, you will be backsquadded and it could be a month before you can get onto the weekend you missed.

The ost from The Duke also makes a lot of sense.
  13. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

You can be TA and a SC as long as you have permission from the CO and Chief constable