• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

How much tax DOES Al Fayed pay?

Aye.

Also in a previous, now locked thread, a member posted that Harrods had changed their policy on uniforms being worn into the store, on closer probing this proved NOT to be the case, the original poster has asked that the now locked thread be unlocked so the discussion can continue.

Further it was suggested Mr Al F had links/dealing/supported the ABF. Conversation with ABF this afternoon went something like this..

ABF: ABF can I help you?
Me: Yes can you please clarify the charitable donations made to the ABF by Mr Al F of Harrods?
ABF: Pardon?
Me: I was lead to believe he had donated in the past to the ABF...
ABF: heheheheheeeheheehhehe....
Me: Sorry, have I been misinformed?
ABF: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........ Yes, very good!
Me: Sorry?
ABF: HAHAHAHAHAH.....
Click.

I think they thought it was a crank call. I'm still not sure if Mr Al F has indeed any charitable links with the ABF, but given the tone of the call I'm doubting it. :roll:

Beebs x

blessed baby cakes said:
Aye.

Also in a previous, now locked thread, a member posted that Harrods had changed their policy on uniforms being worn into the store, on closer probing this proved NOT to be the case, the original poster has asked that the now locked thread be unlocked so the discussion can continue.

Clarification of the store policy re this matter can be obtained by calling Harrods customer services direct on 020 7730 1234.

Further it was suggested Mr Al F had links/dealing/supported the ABF. Conversation with ABF this afternoon went something like this..

Me: Yes can you please clarify the charitable donations made to the ABF by Mr Al F of Harrods?
Click.

I think they thought it was a crank call. I'm still not sure if Mr Al F has indeed any charitable links with the ABF, but given the tone of the call I'm doubting it. :roll:

Beebs x
Well there are two things that need to happen I believe - either they issue a public statement stating that uniform can be worn, or we go back to the topic off boycotts.

PTP - in the interests of debate and keeping all this stuff in one thread can you reopen the now closed thread please.

I'm going to start a poll up separately.

blessed baby cakes said:

Click.

Beebs x
Any chance of you Pming me the number of the people you spoke to, they need correcting before it inlfuences whether this chap donates again.

If true, bad form on the part of ABF

http://www.armybenfund.org/news_pages/claypigeon.html

Look at the list of donators......

He / they haven't barred soldiers, they have merely stated that they are not to wear Combat 95s, why anyone would want to bimble down there in uniform is beyond me anyway.

The MOD restrict where you can go in uniform, why aren't they attracting the same heat?

Pathetic guys, really hope that if you are silly enough to contact the Fayed Empire, you do it with your own details and not as a spokesperson from this site, as you clearly do not have the opinion of the masses behind you.

Mohamed Al Fayed is the biggest single donor to Great Ormond Street in its entire history. That is not what Mohamed set out to be, but when he saw the extent of the need and the unlikelihood of the government funding the required equipment, he felt compelled to act. Every year, the scanner is used to help hundreds of desperately sick children.
The Royal Marsden Hospital has also benefited. Mohamed has paid a number of visits to its children’s cancer unit at Sutton in Surrey, on one occasion flying the entertainer Jason Donovan there to meet the members of the Egg Head Club. The baby unit at Northwick Park Hospital in Middlesex and Queen Charlotte’s Hospital in west London have received substantial gifts of help from ACF.
The gifts to GOSH were made through the Al Fayed Charitable Foundation. The Foundation was set up as a registered charity in 1987. Every year since, it has dispensed millions of pounds. It supports numerous good causes but endeavours to focus its activities on the relief of suffering by children. The wellbeing and education of children might be its motto, if it actually had one.
The homeless in London receive all sorts of help on a regular basis. Members of Harrods staff regularly give their personal time to help distribute food, blankets, gifts and other Christmas comforts to the homeless; Mohamed often goes with them.
Do you think he only donates to homeless who aren't ex forces too?

Every Christmas, ACF sends thousands of books to primary schools across the UK for use in reading classes.
The international work of the Foundation is extensive and far-flung. It has helped the British Red Cross Society in its mission to Bosnia. Also, through the BRCS, ACF brought relief to earthquake victims in upper Egypt and financed the establishment of a local hospital and clinic in an area where no such facilities had hitherto existed.
In 1999 the Rainbow Millennium Fund organised a campaign to raise £5 million, desperately needed to enable the Hospice to remain open. The caring public have donated thousands of pounds after being touched by the plight of the terminally ill, Kirsty Howard, who is fronting the campaign. Mr Al Fayed was shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the plight of the Hospice, and has donated money to help Francis House continue its work. He said: "There can be no greater heartache for a parent than knowing that your child is going to die before you, making the most of the precious time remaining is so important".
In July 1996 Mr. Al Fayed visited Liverpool to be introduced to the children's ward of the Alder Hey Hospital and Zoë's Place. Mohamed was introduced to the hospice by David Alton, the Liberal Democrat M.P. and prominent campaigner for Roman Catholic causes. David, now Lord Alton, personally arranged for Mohamed's visit and introduced him to the staff, the families and the children who are cared for in their final days at Zoe's Place (Zoe meaning "life" in Greek).

Mohamed was taken by the work of the unique baby hospice and pledged that he would assist the hospice ensuring they continued providing their special care. He continues to this day to support the Hospice and with the assistance of other beneficiaries the Hospice continues to grow.
Proper cnut this fella eh?

Sometimes you vile vultures make me sick.

For what it's worth Harrods do allow the Poppy Appeal to collect in store every year. As you can imagine charities fight hard to get slots within the store because of how lucrative it can be.

So why is this paragon of virtue based in Geneva?

Sounds like MDN has not rad the links I've posted above.

I'd also bet that the figures quoted originate from sopurces close to Al Fayed.

BTW, is he actually Al Fayed?

Bravo_Bravo said:
In a seeming attempt to defend Al Fayed, somebody implied he has paid huge amounts of tax in the UK.

The truth is somewhat different...
Whilst certainly not seeking to defend MAF (I think he is an arrogant cnut of the first order) he is far from unique in "sheltering" his empire offshore...

For example, Philip Green (Arcadia and BHS) and Richard Branson (Virgin) are based in Monoco and BVI respectively, and the "owners" pay little UK tax.

Bravo_Bravo said:
Fayed.

BTW, is he actually Al Fayed?
No, he isn't. But it is pretty insignificant stuff - like the present vogue for double barrelled names forged out of two perfectly serviceable single ones.

I am no Fayed fan and do not visit Harrods - I think he is going off the rails a bit by railing against Phil the Greek and Bigears. He is however enjoyably eccentric and I expect that Harrods would be even more of a puffed-up, arrogant department store without him - there would be less of a sense of humour and the tacky self-parody at least!

It would appear that he is however extraordinarily generous and we should acknowledge this with good grace and some gratitude. A lot of people are offshored, and it has the useful property of ensuring that they only spend a limited amount of time in the country.

MDN is right on this one - there are better people to lay into than the Phoney Pharaoh.

Good for them, if you had an opportunity to pay less tax would you? I know I would.

At the end of each tax year, there is nothing I hate more than writing the inland revenue and Customs and Excise a fat cheque.

Bravo Bravo...... the very second I am in a position to pay someone to give me advice on how to pay less tax (ie moreso than a regular accountant, you can rest assured I will)

Bravo_Bravo: only an idiot pays more tax than he has to.

So Mr. Fayed negotiated to pay 240,000 quid a year tax. Is that small potatoes? And what did he get in return? Even ignoring his many and generous charitable donations (published and unpublished) he has given a damn site more to this country than he has taken out.

The 'average punter' pays maybe 5,000quid a year in tax. What does he get for it? Free health cover, free education for his kids, policing, free use of motorways (for the moment), and a hundred and one other services provided by the State. Mr. Fayed has private health cover (about 4,000quid a year) so is not a drain on the NHS. His family uses private education and other private suppliers for their needs (when was he last in the local library). Is it unfair that he negotiates a reasonable rate of taxation to take this into account?

Harrods continues to attract tens of thousands of tourists to the UK every year for shopping. All those tourists stay at hotels, use taxis, go out for meals, buy drinks etc etc etc.

So he is as mad as a box of fish. So what? Only poor people can be insane. Rich people are merely eccentric.

I personally wish him well, and if he can continue to get Japanese and American tourists to pay 300quid for an umbrella then fantastic. I find it ugly when people scream and show their envy of someone who is doing well. What would you rather he did? Fathered children without looking out for them while claiming the dole? People like you are why people like me have left the UK. I, and others like me, are wealth generators. My actions currently provide income for over 20 people and provides a large amount of money for the Hungarian, Polish and Slovak taxmen. I could have done this in the UK but I refuse to be taxed so highly. I am now resident in Bratislava where the rate of tax is 19% (a flat rate on everything).

Dread

PS While Mr. Fayed may be registered overseas for tax reasons, Harrods is not. The company must pay all its local and national taxes in the UK. All that VAT, all those profits, employee NI contributions, business rates, etc, etc.

Dudes

All very worthy, but you are missing the whole point of this thread.

In an attempt to justify censorship somebody stated that Fayed pays huge amounts of tax.

It seems pretty clear that he does not.

There also remains the issue that Harrods will not allow persons wearing uniform into the store at any time.

Latest Threads