How much sleep do you get during training?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Nails., Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard rumours of tactics used such as depriving recruits of sleep as a punishment and recruits ironing and polishing into the early hours of the morning. Is this true or is there a strict lights out time? What time do you usually go to bed and get up.

At the moment I go to bed at about 12 and get up at about half seven.

2. Normally lights out was at 2230hrs, then noisy alarm at approx 0600hrs I think? Things may have moved on since my day though.

3. Don't worry about it, you can sleep all day.

4. Sleep is for poofs. Are you a poof Nails?

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

6. You certainly did during certain Sy lessons but not as much as Foxy!

7. I have heard that in the old days at Guildford, it was lights out at 2230 and candles out at 2300. :wink:

8. The only thing you'll be polishing till the early hours will be your helmet.

You fecking tube.

9. Nails, you will be ok mate, it's only the Paras that don't get to sleep. They get up two hours before they go to bed and work for the next 25 hours straight, they keep that up for their entire career. They are NAILS mate. Even the SAS are allowed 1 hour sleep per month.

Regards

10. In seriousness now. I was talking to a mate down the pub who is para reg who has just come back from tour. He was telling me the tactics they used to do at night to toughen you up and hard enough to be in the paras. He says that one night he was sleeping and four corporals barged into the room put a bag over his head and started kicking him in. All this was normal and just part of the process to make you a fighter. He said the idea is that you get to the point where you don't mind taking a beating at any time and that you're never scared.

He also told me that when he didn't shave one morning the corporals locked him in a room and every ten minutes a brilliant bright light filled the room and a massive ear blasting siren went off so that he could never sleep. He said they put him in that room like that for 48 jours and when he came out he was expected to go on a 3 day excersise and pass.

11. Nails, please stop the sh!t wahs now.

12. And I met a bloke down the pub who said he is the man Noel Edmonds phones on Deal or no Deal. :roll:

13. If I recall correctly you slept all the way through basic, because you were the dopiest sod in the Squad by the time the transferrees and the Junior Bleeders got there to smarten you all up.

Whatever happened to Foxy?

14. A high ranking officer said to me that they use sleep deprivation as a weapon. He said he does not endorse the use of drugs but if wanted to take a small amount of amphetamines to help me stay awake then that's up to me. He said that a couple of dabs of speed in the morning squares you up and keeps you alert throughout the day. I initially thought that may be wrong or cheating but he said that if the training team don't play fair then why should you. It is expected of all recruits to survive training any way they can, and so a couple of dabs of whizz to fight off sleep is proving you are a thinking, independant soldier who is showing initiative.

15. MD due to Narcolepsy (no seriously). I don't think I will ever forget the time during driver training when he just fell asleep at the wheel and drove straight off the A20 into the ditch, oh how I laughed as I bounced around in the back of that rover. Great bloke though, really good sense of humour considering the sh1t we put him through, pain in the arrse in the pub though, he was always asleep when his round was due, not like others who would disappear to the churchyard with a local slapper just to avoid getting the drinks in.