How much phys?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TAbloke, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently I've started doing a lot more to get fitter (running, swimming, pressups, sit ups, etc) and have gone from aching the day after to feeling quite normal.

I currently do about an hour three times a week but was thinking of making the most of my new found fitness and upping this to maybe five times.

I understand a need for rest so if I did do more, will I be alright or is that overdoing it? I want to get as fit as I can and would rather be out running if it's not going to kill me :?

2. Thats fine

From a athletes pov (I'm not in the forces as of yet, I'm in the process of application) you can train 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (really you can do 4 hours if split into 2 sessions with enough food and rest).
    The key is to build into it and allow your body time to adapt.

edit- when you begin to find diminishing returns thats when you either have a rest or change things about

3. That's good to hear, I'll get on with it then.

Thanks for the reply.

4. 2 hours Phys everyday for me Monday to Friday, Saturday off and a short run on Sunday. Lost a stone already.

5. Fcuking hell, a stone? How long did that take?

6. About a week mate

7. I see you're from London MSI64 - do you run on roads of parks or what?
    I also live in London and am finding it hard to find decent outdoor running places, due to being under 18 and not living in a 'wholesome' area.

8. You lost a stone in a week? Did your head fall off?

9. I do 2 hour long sessions a day 5 days per week. Taken me about 6 months to get to that level. Best advice I got was "listen to your body". If you feel like you can keep it up, then crack on. If your feeling fecked and aching all the time, take a break.

Was 15st 3lbs. Now 11st 7lbs. Why did nobody tell me I was a fat knacker!?

Ben

10. Deffinaltey don't push it to hard though lads.
    I've been doing about 2hrs of phys a day, 5 times a week for a while. Runs, tabs, weights and swimming mostly. Suddenly I've developed stress damage in one knee. Doctor says no running for 3 weeks now- sniffle.
    If you have aches and pains that don't feel like your normal tired muscles, be perpared to have an extra rest day or two. Also watch you for any niggling pains as they can quickly develop into injures.

11. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Remember that different types of training build different types of fitness. Doing 2 hours straight is going to build endurance, decrease recovery time, lose weight and so on, but it is unlikely to get you much faster. Doing 30mins to 1hr hard sprint or interval training will increase speed, make you better at PFTs and the like.

Increasing from 3 to 5 days sounds sensible, but make sure you mix up the types of session / activity as well. Don't jump straight into twice a day six days a week pro-athlete madness, most bodies can't hack that without a long buildup.

Could try this lot, who are quality, and do discount for forces: www.britmilfit.com
    Or you could just look at the park locations they meet in and go there.

12. As long as you increses your training a little at a time your body will get used to it and you shouldn't overtrain (If you feel you are then cut back slightly). You could do phys everyday and some of the phys days could be 'rest' days in themselves by being easy cardio, like gentle swimming, jogging and walking etc. This easy cardio would actually aid recovery from the harder days. Judging this can sometimes be difficult due to you some days feeling very tired. But no one said it was easy.

13. Ah, active recovery days

How I love and loath them

I'd also suggest original poster that if you are going to start running a good few miles a week learn to stretch properly and invest some time into foam rolling (google is your friend).

14. Its amazing the results when you kick the alcohol into touch, Eat right and phys steadily twice a day. I havent really trained for two years so first couple of days were hellish, Now i get grumpy if I dont go out and train