How much involvement will 2 Sig Bde have in this?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Nov 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

The government will simulate a shutdown of the national phone network next week in an exercise involving hundreds of government and industry players.

The exercise - codenamed "White Noise" - is designed to simulate a catastrophic nationwide communications failure, will take place over Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12 November.

It will be the first time the UK has conducted such a large scale exercise, Geoff Smith, the head of communications security in the Department for Business, told a Lords committee today.

White Noise will simulate a total national collapse of the traditional Public Switched Telephone Network. There will be no impact on those not involved in the exercise.

Such a scenario could be caused by a cyber or physical attack, or a natural disaster.
  2. Hmm interesting, any 2 Sig Bde chaps care to comment ?
  3. Not heard anything about it... but then last time i checked our job was MACA (i.e. to support Blue Light Services)... not to ensure that Jannine from Admin gets her stationary order accepted at Staples.

If my email and phones got knocked out for 2 days i'd love it - might get some real work done.
  4. MACA/P and MAGD and MACC topbadger.
  5. It's running mid-week, of course 2 Sig Bde aren't playing.............
  6. Aren't you one of them now :)
  7. Its essentially a CPX run by the Cabinet Office, and the Bde is involved.

edited to say, knock yourself out:
  8. In other words, it's a cross-departmental paper exercise which will have minimal involvement by and even less impact on the MOD.

And we might hear about the lessons learned a few months/years down the road, if the Cabinet Office bothers to tells us...