How much do you spend on food a week

How much do you spend on food a week? On the gov website to me it looks like about £10 a day, so £280 per month. Is that correct? Seems steep?

OneTenner

Old-Salt
For how many people? we spend £35-40 p.w. for two adults plus <£100 p.m. at Costco - dog food is £50p.m. for two reasonably large dogs, Amazon scheduled food & household is £28p.m. averaged over the year - is that good? I have no idea, we don't buy snacks (except for the dogs) or takeaways, there is some alcohol included but not much.

What OnenTenner said! We bulk cook too for two of us, so we can easily get 4 or 6 meals out of (for example) a kg pack of mince. Dogs get supermarket pellets and any scraps - seem as happy as Larry! Very little food gets thrown away in this house - it it isn't eaten by us it goes in the fridge 'for later' or ultimately in the dogs.

Visit Morrissons in Gib 2 or 3 times a year to top up on all the stuff we absolutely can't live without - not to mention litres of REALLY cheap booze! Woods has just gone up to £5 a litre!

I hate seeing food waste. When growing up it was 'think of all the starving children in Africa' etc.

£280 a month!! gtf ! more lite £ 100 - 130 tops for the four of us , this not including the animal feed.
Most of our stuff grown at home veg and meat ( Pig , chicken and goat ) home made wine and mead , ok I'll confess to the occasional bottle of malt, wife bakes a lot.

Albeit I've just restocked the cupboards with tins of basics like beans and stuff like pasta, ready meals for the stepson and 4 beers for me and a bottle of wine for swmbo.

£87.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Just to add, we both work full time Mon. - Fri. plus one Sat. in four so there isn't lots of free time for baking etc. that said, neither of us see cooking as a chore, it's not unknown to be knocking up some bread dough last thing at night for baking in the morning. We do pick up quite large joints of meat which are divided up and frozen - unless No.2 Son (the better one) is coming for Sunday dinner so we end up cooking the whole thing but make a curry with the leftover meat, much to the annoyance of the dogs!.

I live in Italy. I spend an average €300 per month, about €10 a day, just over 50 pounds a week, on food, beer, gin and all household items including cleaning, detergents, personal hygiene. I eat an excellent Mediterranean diet, lots of olive oil etc. so I don't buy budget.
Unfortunately I've never split my household expenses into separate categories, but my guess is about €6 or €7 daily on food, beer and gin would be about right.

Last edited:
Varies. £50-£60 a week maybe? Sometimes around £100 if we need to restock on dishwasher/washing machine tablets/sachets or other occasional purchases. We don't skimp.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
About £25.

Loaf of bread, pack of ham, bunch of bananas, £5 co-op freezer deal, cereal bars, Sunbites, breakfast biscuits and Asda golden syrup porridge pots, milk, tea bags. That's about it.

Plus I'm nice to people so I get invited round for Sunday roast etc. Although I'm gonna have to stop saying "great, free food" each time my good lady tells us we've been invited round to her parents'... I think they're beginning to suspect I'm tighter than a divorced RAO who's just got back from a JPA refresher course.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
£70 a week is about right not taking into account my ale, the occasional take away and the once a month Costco trip for chicken breasts, steak mince and sea bass/salmon for the freezer and bog roll (only for the freezer after a madras).

£280 a month!! gtf ! more lite £ 100 - 130 tops for the four of us , this not including the animal feed.
Most of our stuff grown at home veg and meat ( Pig , chicken and goat ) home made wine and mead , ok I'll confess to the occasional bottle of malt, wife bakes a lot.

£70 a week is about right not taking into account my ale, the occasional take away and the once a month Costco trip for chicken breasts, steak mince and sea bass/salmon for the freezer and bog roll (only for the freezer after a madras).

Spot on, about what I spend every week, give or take a few quid, for the Doris and myself, which includes things like bog rolls, washing up liquid, and such like. Occasionally a trip to bookers cash and carry, for bulk buying of biscuits, sugar tea and drinks, about every 2-3 months. We don't eat out, or get fast food delivered to the house.

If visiting the kids and grand kids, then its all out to a café or restaurant for a family meal. Then its the plastic that gets a hammering.

We don't eat out, or get fast food delivered to the house.
Oooooh, look at you ya tight miserable basturd, the grand squibs must love coming to your place :cool:

Depends on what level you are living at, extreme poverty rations or Waitrose truffle pâté with Armagnac ?
Personally I can only enjoy the truffle pâté when scoffed with blinis hand-rolled on the thighs of Icelandic virgins, werl that's what it states on Waitrose's packaging.

@Highlandscot has, of course, not specified if he is a singly wondering why all his mates can afford two Pot Noodles per day, but then again, he also seems to think that February is the only month when one needs to pay for food.

Just us 2 now of course.
Around £35/45 per week, for food alone, but including non foods probably £55+
We only buy fresh, then I slow-cook in 2 cookers a rotational diet and freeze it. Never buy factory boxes which I think are appalling £ per 100g value..nor do I like what I read on the boxes.
I know when my local Tesco is getting rid of "use Today" proteins, and stack 'em in at around half price.
Every little helps eh?

Last edited:
Oooooh, look at you ya tight miserable basturd, the grand squibs must love coming to your place :cool:

They do, they do, as I am a chocoholic, and a sugar junkie, and , there is at least 8 jars of assorted sweeties and containers of goodies on the shrank, glass bowls of salted and roasted nuts, packets of mints, and several bowls of fruit, and the Doris always has many boxes of Turkish delight and Thornton's chocolates, and so the rug rats get totally hyper on sugar and chocolate, much to the disgust of their parents, but as I tell them " My gaff, My rules, My grandkids" It is the duty of every grand parent to spoil their grandchildren rotten,... as I was,...... 60 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest Threads