how much do you pay for mounting medals?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ZEMTEX, Mar 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? the army supplys medal,ribbon,broch, backing, cloth etc...
    but yet if you fall back on the good old MAT REGS, it doesnt say that the army will foot the bill......

if your a piccadilly cowboy, it says you can wear red backing! so do they get away with out paying just because they are mentioned?

how much are people paying? 8O [/img][/url]
  2. 10 quid to mount my GSM.
  3. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

ah, medal mounting! my dad mounts/collects medals.
    £5 a medal, 12 month garuntee and bloody good quality too. he's a perfectionist at heart and takes pride in his work.
  4. Now this one grips my shit. Why, when all the materials are paid for, do we have to pay anything? Just because at the moment the military fashion is to have them court mounted and QR's says that they only have to be swing mounted, is that a reason to have to pay for the service?

After AGRICOLA, the tailor in our regiment bought a new car with the money that she got through medal charges.

It is a bloody disgrace that you have to work hard and put your life on the line only to have to pay to wear them. Thank god we don't get issued medals like the yanks do otherwise it would wipe out your 2.8% pay raise.

5. The RQ told me that you can have medals loose mounted at public expense only.

But now for the Sigs they have switched to "corp mounted" so now we have to pay.

Ive been told by colleagues in NI that the QM`s tailor their will corp mount at public expense.

My unit tailor charges £5 per medal atm and the quality is somewhat pants. My Iraq medal will be here soon I think this time I may try a proffesional company from soldier mag. I much prefer straight medals.
  6. So do I. Gay medals just don't go with the uniform....... :lol:
  7. Just had my miniatures court mounted by someone called Windsor Medals (they are in Soldier Mag). Can't remember the price though when I got the quotes it was very good, but the service was excellent and the lady who answers the phone was bloody good. No complaints and I'll go there again.
  8. I back mushroom on this one. I had full size ones mounted by Windsor, very good quality. The lady who runs it is married to the ex-master tailor from Windsor/London District, so they know what they're talking about and don't charge the earth.
  9. They have been going a while, they are the company that did mine, and made an outstanding job of them too.

I seem to recall there prices on replacements fair too, and cost alot less than it would to mount a quality lady of the night :D
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Court Mounting Full size medals, last time I had mine done were £18 each at Goldings, pricey, but the job is superb. same with the minatures.
  11. Does anyone happen to know what the rules are regarding ribbons? I know that 4 ribbons align along the top of the left breast pocket, but what do you do with 5? 3 on the bottom, 2 on top? Or 4 on the bottom, and 1 on top? :?
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I was always told it depended on how big your chest was.

So you could have 5 ribbons across the top of the pocket with the balance above. i.e. 8 medals- 3 above 5.

The mounting of full sized medals are (see letter in Apr 04 Soldier mag from Guards Tailor) up to 6 not overlapped then after 6 overlapped up to a third of ribbon covered.

I find ringing the tailors in Wellington Bks or Pirbright, they seem to have the definative answer.
  13. QMan, good steer. This is the official line from Mat Regs.

"202. Positioning of Ribbons.

Ribbons are to be placed centrally over the left breast pocket button. They are worn in rows, the senior ribbon positioned nearest the jacket lapel or front buttons and in the top row when multiple rows are worn. No ribbon should be fully hidden by the lapel. The number of ribbons worn in a complete row is governed largely by the individual’s physique, and the type of garment being worn (open neck or stand collar). As many ribbons as convenient are to be placed in a row before another row is started. An incomplete row is to be placed centrally above the top complete row, and is to contain ribbons of the senior Orders, Decorations or Medals. Rows are to be approximately 3.175 mm apart.

203. Individuals having to wear their Medal ribbons in 2 or more rows must comply with the general principle given but otherwise, may use their own discretion in deciding the number of ribbons placed in each row. The edges of the ribbons nearest the shoulder in each complete row must be vertically in line with the bottom row. Ribbons are to be stitched to the garment, preferably mounted on buckram or similar material except when being placed on warm weather area clothing when they are worn on detachable brooches, which are provided and sewn at the officer’s individual expense. Step brooches are recommended."

So, it looks like it's up to the individual... :D
  14. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Too Much!!!
  15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Mar Regs, I just love them!