How much do DETAPOs get paid (daily rate)?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cymru_am_Byth, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it the same rate as OTC officer cadets? Or are we supposedly not as good as them?

2. I think DETAPOs should get some X-factor, (maybe 7%) but UOTC cadets would get 0% Xfactor, so you probably get more....

3. The TA doesnt get X factor.

4. From what I've seen: DETAPO's get around £29.99 a day as a new entrant, going up to basic pte level after first year methinks. Then it's probably basic pte level and incrementing on the various pay bands each year. Once they pass TCB/RCB and have the coveted white stripe then they get around £35 a day - it's all on the mod website somewhere.

OTC start on a higher level, a point that can be quite sore for quite a few new soldiers.

5. DETAPOs are those who originally enlisted as Pte soldiers in the TA - either as TA Soldiers in their own units or as a result of TAPO Advertising so enlisted to a specific TA Unit for administrative purposes - and get the equivalent TA rate of pay for the rank they hold on unicom.

Comparisons with UOTC rates are irrelevant - the DETAPO can achieve a Commission in under 12 months - more likely to be typically 18 when we have dependable stats to review - and receives the full TA Training Bounty.

6. Can someone clear this up for me. I have heard on the grapevine that despite TA being advertised as paid 'regular army rates of pay', that aint actually true as the regs receive:

X factor

an increment for each additional year they are in a rank

the abiility to move up the classes that much quicker (I'm a class two soldier, I look up to him and down on him etc etc) - this I know is true from looking at my PDR(?) career folder and here: RAC career structure

Pension contributions (not wanting to open up the whole pension discussion again!)

7. We gain increments for each year served, go up and down pay bands just as regs do. No pension. No X factor. No healthcare.. We have classes which are influenced by trade training ect - first trade puts you as class 3, then can do additional exams etc to go up or down.. I think time served may also influence this, I know a class2 radop who can't remember doing anything else than original trade exams, mobilisation and camps.

We have a tax-free bounty.

8. I don't know if there's any truth in this, but I seem to remember being told when I first showed an interest in the TA that as I have a degree, when I pass TCB I'll be paid the same as a second lieutenant, and second lieutenants with degrees get paid the same as lieutenants. This may be absolutely false, as I've been trying to find out about it online and haven't come up with anything. Anyone know?

9. Aye, completely false.

10. I thought it might be!

11. However, the situation you descibe is accurate for regular OCdts/JOs. Two standards....

12. maybe that's where the mix up came from

so why is it different for the TA then?

13. Because Officers in the TA do not join for the money apparently.

14. :idea: Go taffaard. :D We've got all the comedians in here today folks.