• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

HOW MUCH? Did a ZX Spectrum really cost that much money?

#1
Just found an old receipt for the 48k (RAM) ZX spectrum that my parents bought for me as a youth with a view to me learning about computing. (I did learn a great deal in fact)

With some accessory (probably a lead or some software) it was £140 in 1983.

That's equivalent to £330 today. :omfg:

I still have it, boxed with programmes and in working order.

Do your own calculations here:
http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation.html
 
#2
Yeh I remember getting one around that time and it was £130.
It was pretty much state of the art then too, how things change eh
 
#3
Think thats expensive, the ZX81 was still up at over £100 when the speccie first came out !

Ah the days of [aherm cough ] 'backing-up' games using two cassette decks set on full volume ...
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#4
I still have mine up stairs in it's box in mint condition. Shame I don't have a tape recorder anymore or I'd bang Elite on and while away a few hours.
 
#5
EX_STAB said:
Just found an old receipt for the 48k (RAM) ZX spectrum that my parents bought for me as a youth with a view to me learning about computing. (I did learn a great deal in fact)

With some accessory (probably a lead or some software) it was £140 in 1983.

That's equivalent to £330 today. :omfg:

I still have it, boxed with programmes and in working order.

Do your own calculations here:
http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation.html
I took a job at one of Sinclair's factories when I was student. I used to turn up the worse for wear most mornings. One particularly hung over day I ripped my hand open on a packing tool. I stood staring at the hole whilst blood p issed all over the insides of many ZX boxes as they shot down the line.

Have a look and see if there are stains on the polystyrene.
 
#6
Oh the joy of spending 3 hours copying a programme from a magazine using the quality keyboard, only to find (once all the errors had been rectified) a stick man walk across the screen..........mine didnt last long
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
drain_sniffer said:
Oh the joy of spending 3 hours copying a programme from a magazine using the quality keyboard, only to find (once all the errors had been rectified) a stick man walk across the screen..........mine didnt last long
At least with my CPC464 I could just save it . . . . :wink:
 
#9
PrinceAlbert said:
I still have mine up stairs in it's box in mint condition. Shame I don't have a tape recorder anymore or I'd bang Elite on and while away a few hours.
I smashed a 48K up playing that game. I'd spent fek'n months running jobs all over the 'verse so I could soup my ship up. Got jumped by the police whilst carrying some ..errr... suspect cargo. So did an un-scheduled hyper jump to a system by Brandards Star run by isolationist Monks - the tw@t's took my ship off me and the Speccy proceeded on a fast flat trajectory into my bedroom wall followed by bellows of "ya cheating bastard!!!!"

I have fond memories of my old Commie ViC20, 16 and 64 also - still think they have the best keyboards ever. Was quite struck by how similar the Commodore 64 looked to the keyboard of the old PAMPAS database terminals the pay and leave clerks used to use when I joined the regiment!!!
 

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#10
I had a Sega Megadrive when they first came out (89 or 90 I believe but could be wrong) it cost £180 and the games were around £50 each!
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
Hoochie said:
PrinceAlbert said:
I still have mine up stairs in it's box in mint condition. Shame I don't have a tape recorder anymore or I'd bang Elite on and while away a few hours.
I smashed a 48K up playing that game. I'd spent fek'n months running jobs all over the 'verse so I could soup my ship up. Got jumped by the police whilst carrying some ..errr... suspect cargo. So did an un-scheduled hyper jump to a system by Brandards Star run by isolationist Monks - the tw@t's took my ship off me and the Speccy proceeded on a fast flat trajectory into my bedroom wall followed by bellows of "ya cheating bastard!!!!"

I have fond memories of my old Commie ViC20, 16 and 64 also - still think they have the best keyboards ever. Was quite struck by how similar the Commodore 64 looked to the keyboard of the old PAMPAS database terminals the pay and leave clerks used to use when I joined the regiment!!!
heh - a Vic 20 was my first computer back in the day - with it's whopping 3 1/2k of memory.
I got an Amiga in 91 though - that was the mutts nuts. In fact, just this last week my younger brother pointed me in the direction of an emulator and I've been quite happily bombing the sh1t out of the commies again in F-19 Stealth Fighter (which as the plane geeks will tell you, was *the* sim at the time - that and Falcon.)
it's crazy to think just how much progress has been made mind- my first PC almost ten years ago was a custom made PIII (one of the very early ones where the processor was sat on a honking big cartridge) and that had over a hundred times as much ram as the A500 - then last year I bought a Quad Core with 4gb ram and a terabyte of hard drive - at this rate, I expect to have Hal 9000 sat on my desk in another few years.
 
#12
If you miss Elite you can download Oolite, a free, and excellent PC remake.

http://oolite.org/gallery
I've wasted many hours on this. It is authentic in every way, just with better 3d etc, and masses of add-ons. All free of course. A great game to take on tour as it plays on even the lowest spec laptop reasonably well.

 
#14
It was 1980, the clues in the name. Rushed into production, and really more of a prototype. The ZX81 a year later was much improved, and had the advantage that its tapered wedge shape made it very useful as a door stop. About its only use once the Spectrum and things like the BBC Model B came along. To think that in real terms you can get a decent laptop for the same amount of cash these days.
 
#15
The ZX80 and 81 still fetch high prices on eBay with ZXX80s going for silly amounts and ZX81s for about £50+ depending on the kit with it. These two machine (as well as the spectrum) were almost single handedly responsible for kick starting the UK software and gaming industry, regardless of the spec of the hardware. One of the reasons for the prices they now fetch is that many collectors see them for the landmark machines they once were and they have started to be collected for their historical value as well as sentimental.
I was 11 in 1981 and was given one as a Christmas present. Seeing as I now work in IT, they've had a hell of an influence over the years!
 
#16
I remember paying £400 for CBM 64 (plus tape drive) when it first came out, and around £1000 for an Amiga 1000 (plus monitor) when that first came out! Prices not adjusted for today, but as they were then! Lesson: don’t be first! 8O

I still have an Amiga running alongside me now though, so good value, what?! :)
 
#19
PsyWar.Org said:
Ah fond memories of my Speccy 48K. Those were the days.

I remember buying 64Mb of RAM in around 1994, cost over 2,000 quid!
Just checked an old VIC 20 magazine from 1982 and there’s an advertisement for “The first 16k RAM pack for under £50 (£49.95)”. That’s £123 today, or about £7.70 per kilobyte, or £76,875 per Mb. :?

And of course just multiply the latter figure by 1000 to find out how much a gigabyte would cost, but make sure you are sitting down first. :wink:
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#20
ScouseD said:
PsyWar.Org said:
Ah fond memories of my Speccy 48K. Those were the days.

I remember buying 64Mb of RAM in around 1994, cost over 2,000 quid!
Just checked an old VIC 20 magazine from 1982 and there’s an advertisement for “The first 16k RAM pack for under £50 (£49.95)”. That’s £123 today, or about £7.70 per kilobyte, or £76,875 per Mb. :?

And of course just multiply the latter figure by 1000 to find out how much a gigabyte would cost, but make sure you are sitting down first. :wink:
a pedant says it should really be multiplied by 1024.... ;)

but then whats a few million between friends?
 

Latest Threads