Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How Many Turned Up Today (11 Nov) ?

A good turn out today by the general public in addition to the TA and veterans today in the provincial town I live in. Long may it continue! Lest we forget.

Skynet said:
We stopped on our walk just before 11am, all 25 of us to listen to the two minutes silence on a little portable radio I take. Its rather nice with the wind in the trees and the rustle of leaves the chimes of Big Ben and then the bugles.

A very good turnout at the cenotaph where I was (I'm guessing about 2000+), but the two minutes silence was botched badly. They started the silence at 10:50, it only lasted about 45 seconds, then proceeded on with the service. At 11:00, the local church bell started tolling in the midst of a song played by some drippy sandal-wearers (I think they were singing "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" or some such tripe as that, on a karaoke machine). Well, as the count hit about 8 tolls, the bugler let out a triple forte blast (which reduced the sandal-wearers singing to a bewildered "Huh?"), proceeded to play a few bars of The Last Post (again) in order for the 2 minutes to be observed at 11:00. The bugler finished, and silence reigned for all of 5 seconds as the gobsmacked Legion president regained himself, who then proceeded to carry on speaking. :x

Apart from that, it was a very good service.

Service at Warmley War Memorial just outside Bristol was extremely well attended - certainly better then last year. Attending in uniform meant I was in demand for a few photos and I always enjoy a chat with the old boys.

Seemed to have many more watching the parade through Dundee but fewer in the Church. Mind you, after lasts years sermon about 3 women from kikintilloch (or somewhere) maybe thats not too surprising. Shame really as the female vicar gave quite a good sermon.

The parade I attended in my town was well attended, and the sounding of the Last Post was seconds perfect as the church bell started tolling 1100.

What surprised me was the number of people from the crowd coming forward to lay wreaths.

Good news in my village; we had standing room only at the back of the church, interestingly it was the first time I had marched with the RBL and did 3 lots of two minutes silence!
We have two memorials in the village which we march to both and then onto the Church for the 2 minutes to 11 silence.

Walking on Dartmoor today, stopped at 10:50 to allow breathing to settle, lots of people on the hills, virtually all stopped and stood around the same time, a group of RN trainees on the moor also stopped at the same time, good to see even in the outdoors

Top turnout at Boxmoor, Hemel. Church was packed.
At least twice that of last year. may be penny is beginning to drop.?!
Police did and excellent job with the traffic too!

same on camp, very moving service,,esp when the padres read the list of those fallen this year..very sad knowing 6 of them and the fact the names seemed to go on ,and on very sad momment..

I was in a little village in Northamptonshire, where my mother lives and where my late father always used to turn out with the RBL contingent. I've never seen so many turn out as this year: old and bold, cubs and scouts; civvies from the very young to the very old. And they had a tea and biccies do in the village hall after, which was very well attended. Most encouraging.

Spanish_Dave, I was in Ponte this morning and several folk said numbers were up on last year!

Great, nice to see people remembering!