Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How Many Turned Up Today (11 Nov) ?

smallbore

Old Salt
Looking around today, at a typical small town Remembrance Service, it seemed that there many more than last year.

Walking though town it was odd to see someone without a poppy.

Later on, watching on TV ,the Cenotaph Parade I was amazed by the numbers marching past and it seemed to be many more of all ages - not just the survivors of WW2.

Is it my imagination or did many more take part this Sunday than in previous years?

I do not know this for a fact. Yet it seemed to me that there where far more poppy wearing/service atending people this year. Purely subjective on my count. But this year did seem as though the public paid more atention.

The service at my local church was better attended than it has been for a while, which was good to see, as were the number of people who bothered to put poppies on the graves of ex service men, again more than usual.

I hope we're not bucking an encouraging national trend here but the parade in central Birmingham seemed less-well attended than last year. Didn't seem to be that many post-WWII lads around either - maybe they've all been called-up to go to Afghanistan or Iraq! :wink:

We stopped on our walk just before 11am, all 25 of us to listen to the two minutes silence on a little portable radio I take. Its rather nice with the wind in the trees and the rustle of leaves the chimes of Big Ben and then the bugles. I get the impression that there has been much more attention down at village level paid to this service this year. At the little village of Hastingleigh out in the Kent countryside the landlord said there was at least 100 at the little village cenotaph. He puts a big roaring fire on and after a pint and a sandwich what else can you ask for to carry you on for the next 6 miles!

There were more than I've seen, Canterbury Cathedral was filled, and outside at the memorial many others gathered to face it and keep the silence.

Strange that listening to the silence but we who have been there know what you mean

Skynet said:
We stopped on our walk just before 11am, all 25 of us to listen to the two minutes silence on a little portable radio I take. Its rather nice with the wind in the trees and the rustle of leaves the chimes of Big Ben and then the bugles. I get the impression that there has been much more attention down at village level paid to this service this year. At the little village of Hastingleigh out in the Kent countryside the landlord said there was at least 100 at the little village cenotaph. He puts a big roaring fire on and after a pint and a sandwich what else can you ask for to carry you on for the next 6 miles!

RBL organizes a church service here in N.E. Catalonia, it's always well attended. But the padre, who comes up from Barcelona, told us that this year there was a second service being held in Barcelona itself.
Nice to see a few younger faces too as I am one of the youngest and I have fifty up.

Glasgow seemed to me to be better attended from civpop than usual, but the service contingent seemed thinner on the ground. Mind you, to quote Harry Flashman, "it was the infantry coats I was looking for" and 6 SCOTS have a coy on Herrick which might explain it.