Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How Many Turned Up Today (11 Nov) ?

jimmys_best_mate said:
The church at the small village we paraded through didn't even have standing room (although the vicar claimed that some regulars had stayed away because they didn't agree with remembrance day and then proceeded to give a sermon on the evils of the US and their use of war as a tool of diplomacy - very disappointing from an ex-serving soldier wearing a GSM(NI)!).

A fair few lined the streets for the parade too, although I think most were in the church.

Should also add that after myself and another had presented arms either side of the war memorial for the laying of wreaths a very nice older lady (mid to late 40s, possibly early 50s) came up, asked what our medals were for (Iraq, NI each and one ACSM) and said how grateful she was to us and all of the Forces for what we did. Nice to know that a few of the general public do appreciate us.

Aberdeen was freezing, and a bit damp, but I noticed a fair few punters watching the main parade which was interesting, and a lot of people who I would normally cross the street to avoid were wearing poppies, which was interesting. Service was good, being lead by an American United Reform Church pastor (?) - seems they have exchange programmes in the Church as well. He weighed into nuclear WMDs and wasn't all that taken with Bush and Cheney either - all very interesting. No sign of any military support at the parade I went to (not the main one but a particular RE one) though, one guy in SDs and 5 ACF was it, which I thought was a bit of a poor show.

we had a good turnout in wolverhampton, i think we had approx 70 TA guys on parade, and the crowds were fairly big. from my recollection they looked as big as last year if not slightly bigger.

Very good turn out in Romsey, many more on the streets than in previous years. Ended up with standing room only in the Abbey.

I just wondered, is Civpop becoming more aware of what our Armed Forces are being called upon to do? And are they now giving the Forces the recognition that they deserve? Perhaps not 100%, but it would certainly appear to be a groundswell of approval.....long may it continue!

With BLESMA in London. An excellent turnout at the Cenotaph, more than in the last couple of years. It was good to be at the front this year. The clapping and cheering seemed louder when we marched. Normally I march as walking wounded but the stump playing up this year so had to drive a 'spacker' buggy ... one funny moment as we got back round to horse guards (and thankfully just out of sight of HRH Duke of Edinburgh!) ... a sudden halt of groups in front of us led to a multi buggy pile up amongst the BLESMA contingent. All the onlookers cheered, clapped and laughed and it was a magical moment! I must add that I was paying due care and attention and despite the empty hip flask did not crash into the old boy in front of me ... he reversed, honest hofficer!

k13eod said:
With BLESMA in London. An excellent turnout at the Cenotaph, more than in the last couple of years. It was good to be at the front this year. The clapping and cheering seemed louder when we marched. Normally I march as walking wounded but the stump playing up this year so had to drive a 'spacker' buggy ... one funny moment as we got back round to horse guards (and thankfully just out of sight of HRH Duke of Edinburgh!) ... a sudden halt of groups in front of us led to a multi buggy pile up amongst the BLESMA contingent. All the onlookers cheered, clapped and laughed and it was a magical moment! I must add that I was paying due care and attention and despite the empty hip flask did not crash into the old boy in front of me ... he reversed, honest hofficer!

I was watching the re-run later in the day with the wife and wondered if there was a spaz chariot display team? Think of the crowds you would get

... and when we 'broke ranks' on the Mall I managed to come off the back of the grid to finish 3rd at the coach ... despite nearly being forced off the track by a police horse!

Whitehall was much busier this year. Last year there was no Q through the security gates leading to the Cenotaph at 10.30am. This year there was a massive Q and so much so that we had the two minutes silence outside the security cordon.

First year that people were asking about medals too and thanking wearers for their service and welcoming those with recent service home. Very moving, lots of that terrible dust around again.

The Public do care, the silent majority are right behind HM forces. I believe that it's the media trendies who try and portray their meeja view of the world - I don't think Joe Public buy it. Having said that I think that BBC Panorama last week has made many think and see HM forces in a new light with its unprecedented covereage of war fighting.

Great day, great to meet all my old muccas and some great ARRSERS in the "moon on the mall" afterwards, great banter, great singsong. A Great day, really restored my faith in the British people and to see the old and the bold and buy them a beer is always a wonderful priviledge.

A decent show in my village too. Quite a few old and bold with medals and berets. I wore suit but next year I reckon service dress could be in order (I must be able to get a few pints in the pub!)

Unfortunatly I had to work as it was my turn to work a Sunday but come 11 o clock me and the 2 chaps I was working with stopped for the 2 minutes silence and then ran like mongs in to the canteen to watch the parade on the telly, was a damn dusty place that canteen

Nutstrangler said:
Very good turn out in Romsey, many more on the streets than in previous years. Ended up with standing room only in the Abbey.

I just wondered, is Civpop becoming more aware of what our Armed Forces are being called upon to do? And are they now giving the Forces the recognition that they deserve? Perhaps not 100%, but it would certainly appear to be a groundswell of approval.....long may it continue!

....did you jump when the Fort Cumberland bunch set off their cannon ? :D

good turn out and , as you said, seemed to be more than last year..... had to smile when the standard bearer's staff cap fell off and rolled solemnly across the floor though...... :oops:

Seemed as if more folks turned up for the day, around Britain, than previous years. Plymouth was well attended.

However: in Plymouth, shop keepers reported that businesses were turning away opportunities to sell Poppies. Wonder why ?......

After last year, and the sadly continuing failure of so many people wearing or buying poppies in Plymouth, I am not surprised.

We only have a large Garrison in Plymouth.......but who the hell am I to comment.

Schleswig-Holstein said:
Cracking turnout in Belfast. First time I have attended here, but joined plenty of others, both young and old.

Glad the parade went well. A lot of bods attended. I was one of the cenataph guard. I have to say the evation we received from the crowd while marching off at the end of the service was both unexpected and deeply emotional. We were just honoured to play a part in the service.

Good turnout here in Hawarden. Plod was even wearing his No1's to lay the wreath. Plenty of ex service bods in the crowd, but why didn't they join us in the march??? I was the youngest by quite a few years.

A good turn out in Bootle yesterday. I'd estimate double that of previous years. It pissed down with rain all the way through but no one seemed to care. I think Joe public is becoming a little more ' aware' of the sacrifices being made in there name both in the past two wars and in the current conflicts. Good to see.