How many TA senior officers are there of Lt Col

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cardinal, Jan 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. - rank and above? and at what point does an officer start to influence decisions above unit level?

For those TA units which have Regular CO's how TA minded are they in general or does it tend to be just another job within their regular army career?

Cardinal

2. msr

msr LE

3. How many full Colonel TA?

4. msr

msr LE

5. Will do. Thanks for the link to the number of officers in the TA and the inverse rank structure; it doesnt surprise me but does horrify me.
    ET

6. Full Colonels:

circa 40 I think

Brigadiers:

Now 7

Maj Gens:

7. Guys,

I suspect a lot of these high paid helpers are medics...

The RAMC has a lot of TA consultants who are usually Col or Brig because of their medical expertise. Nowt to do with command....

Spot the Lord......!

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Soon to be Maj Gen x 2, when a new one comes in, and the current one goes somewhere else!

In answer to Cardinal's questions:

"at what point does an officer start to influence decisions above unit level?"

Arguably, not at all. In practice, Col and up.

For those TA units which have Regular CO's how TA minded are they in general or does it tend to be just another job within their regular army career?

Depends on the CO. For most, however, it's another job, and their lack of understanding of the TA has to be managed by their TA OCs. It's hard to find a good median ground - too many TA COs play the TA card too often, and far too many Regular COs ignore the fact that they have a TA Regt/Bn entirely (i.e. "I didn't get to command X Bn, so I'll have to work doubly hard with Y Bn (V) to show how wonderful I am ). Sad, but painfully true.

9. Or those Regular CO's who have nothing to prove, but devote their time in post to bringing up a unit by degrees, and with healthy initatives and interesting and varied training, into an excellent Battalion with an envied reputation.

The sort of CO's who make it their business to know everyone in the Bn, and how they can work in his big picture? Who can inspire individual Coys. to work as hard as they can, to fit in with his overall plan? The sort of CO who rewards when appropriate, but won't tolerate fools , no matter what rank. The sort of CO, who can be both a leader of men, and one of the boys?

The sort of CO who even 9 years after moving on , is still spoken about with respect and admiration.

We had one of those. :D

10. Thanks,

Not quite sure why I asked, I have ben making some pretty harsh comments about senior officers in the TA and wondered what sort of position they would be in to influence changes if they were so minded.

I am quite surprise at just how many there are even taking into account PQO's of the AMS who hold high rank. I supect that many together could have a pretty loud voice if they wanted to.

Cardinal

11. 78 Regt RE had one as well with their first CO. He was a real leader, knew the men at every level in every part of the Regiment and got things done. After a weekend it was not unusual for him to pop into the RAP, Sigs wing, MT or another department and spend a very short time chewing the fat with the lads, that way he knew at first hand how good or bad the training was. Under his leadership things never just drifted or became pointless.

Best CO I ever met.

Cardinal

12. msr

msr LE

Like the last CO of 33 Signal Regiment.

msr

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I spotted the last CO 4 Para wearing a 4 Para DZ flash while instructing at Staff College. I expressed my surprise to be told "I will wear this DZ flash until I leave the army - it was my command, and the last Bn I served with."

He wore his TA insignia with pride, despite however many years in the regular Bns, and untold Op tours.

Respect to the man.

14. There was a rumour that there were more Lt Colonels in the RLC (TA) than 2nd lts... is this just an urban legend?

15. msr

msr LE

I am lead to believe that you are not wrong.

msr