How many ribbons make a row?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RedRabbit, Mar 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Try as I might I can't seem to get a definitive answer to this one. Even a so-called military tailor I contacted wasn't sure...
    How many medal ribbons make up a row on No2s? I've been variously told four or five.
    Anyone with that many able to tell me?

2. if you have four, then you have 1 row of 4.
    if you have 5, you have a bottom row of 3 and a top row of 2.
    If you have 6, you have a bottom row of 4 and a top row of 2
    if you have 7, you have a bottom row of 4 and a top row of 3.

Hope that helps.

3. Wow!, I couldn't have asked for a much more precise answer, could I? Many thanks. I hope the info is of use to others as well!

4. Mat Regs has a great long discussion on this, and whilst FF is 99% correct, there is (and why is this not surprising) a degree of flex in this matter.

Rows of ribbons and numbers of ribbons thereof are entirely predicated by one thing - the size of the pocket over which the ribbons will be fixed. If you have a thoroughly enormous human with a massive chest, his pockets on tailored dress will be correspondingly larger. Ergo, there may well arise a situation where this hypothetical human could have 5/6 ribbons per row. It is fairly unlikely - but Mat Regs allow for the possibility.

While we're on this subject, the same guidelines exist for court mounting medals. It is generally accepted that the average human male can wear 6 medals side-by-side without looking utterly ridiculous. Beyond 6, the medals must be mounted overlapping, with no more than 2/3 of the ribbon and obverse hidden by a preceding medal. However, if the hypotherically huge human discussed above was to get his medals court mounted, he could wear his medals side-by-side using the aforementioned rows as guidance.

All very esoteric - and very boring for most, I suspect.

My coat? Why, thank you. :D

5. Yep I knew a WOII with a huge chest and had 5 on one row

6. After receiving our Jubilee medals, a mate and I put our Jackets into the tailors at the same time.

His (current issue No2) came back with a row of 5.
    Mine (issued 1979 old style) came back with a row of 3 and a row of 2.

I would agree it depends on the size of the pocket as the pockets on my twos are smaller than the current issue ones :)

7. Gosh you have so many medals!!!! You must be in the army!!!

Slug sniggers at 5 :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In my experience of mounting medals most men can only wear 5 in a row and most women can only wear 4. I have mounted 8 for a women on bar for 4. It did not look all that good but you do what you can. Oh and she never paid!

The most medals I’ve mounted for a current serving soldier is 9, which I’ve done twice. Both more or less represented the history of the British Army over the last 25 years. Neither had TELIC so I suppose they could both get 10 up.

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Yep, all depends on the size of the chest in question, although Foxy has had pretty good go at it!

10. good answers!!! Lol, ive only got four!

11. Nice medals Cypherman, but those be medals not ribbon rows.

12. Why did you give them back to her?

13. You are all overlooking a significant factor: the width of the medal ribbons... some orders and decorations ribbons are wider than others, campaign medal ribbons are wider than coronation and jubilee medal ribbons. As a rule of thumb FF is right.

14. Ribands...not ribbons