How many pull ups?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cmt...hopefully, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the gym today, I've got my selection weekend next month, hopefully, and I've got my 1.5 mile down to 10:08...

I thought my upper body was alright, then I had a quick go at doing some pull ups, and then I discovered that at that point, I could only do two!

What the fcuk's going on? Was I tired from the run and wieghts and stuff (I did the pull ups last)

Or am I really fcuking weak?

And more importantly, how many are the army going to be expecting me to do on this weekend?

2. If you look on the Health and Fitness Forum you will find many threads very similar to the question you have asked.

3. I couldn't find any definate answers, so I decided to start a new one.

4. Pull ups (lifting own dead body weight) I have always found extremely difficult. When I was a nipper I knocked out 16 once but nowadays I'd be lucky if I had strength enough in my grip to hold me from the bar in the hanging position.

5. The thing is, I'm not that heavy, so surely it should be easy?

I'm 19, 6ft1 and 77kg...

6. Well you may have been slightly fatigued from weights.

7. How were your hands placed - shoulder width or wider still? What was your grip - palms facing towards you or away from you?

8. Two!? F_cking two!?? Next time, try them without your handbag.

9. Haha, yeah, I'll leave the hand bag next time...this is the point...I don't want to look like a fahking girl at selection.

Umm, my hands were placed at just about shoulder width, and my palms were facing away.

10. Umm, my hands were placed at just about shoulder width, and my palms were facing away.[/quote]

In this technique, it is the trapezius (back muscle) that is the dominent muscle. In fairness few can demonstrate / undertake that many 'overhand' pull ups.

Try hands, shoulder width apart, palms facing you (underhand) technique. You are now using a completely different set of muscle groups, predominently the pectorals (chest) biceps and deltoids. A much stronger 'base' to attempt pullups from. Keep the body relaxed and vertical, avoid excessive movement by keeping the legs under control, I suggest crossing them at the ankles. Don't forget to co-ordinate your breathing cycle as you lift your chin to the bar - breathing out on the raise, in as you descend. Hope that helps. All the very best on the day.

11. (I did the pull ups last)

I should have added in my post the 'last' series of exercises before stretching/ warming down should be - SITUPS

12. In this technique, it is the trapezius (back muscle) that is the dominent muscle. In fairness few can demonstrate / undertake that many 'overhand' pull ups.

Try hands, shoulder width apart, palms facing you (underhand) technique. You are now using a completely different set of muscle groups, predominently the pectorals (chest) biceps and deltoids. A much stronger 'base' to attempt pullups from. Keep the body relaxed and vertical, avoid excessive movement by keeping the legs under control, I suggest crossing them at the ankles. Don't forget to co-ordinate your breathing cycle as you lift your chin to the bar - breathing out on the raise, in as you descend. Hope that helps. All the very best on the day.[/quote]
    Stop confusing things with totally wrong information, bob_law! Trapezuis muscles as the dominant muscle involved in palms-away pull-ups indeed! They play a minor and marginal role in stabilising the body posture during any pull-ups!

See this link for some info on pull-ups:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=55428.html

bob_law, people are so disconnected from their bodies and its functions as it is, don't add to the confusion, don't add to that by throwing in facts on something you obviously know fück-all about. People ask these questions because they want answers, but not some ghuff waffle!

MsG

13. Cheers. I love a bit of banter as much as the next, but it is satisfying to get an answer.

14. "bob_law, people are so disconnected from their bodies and its functions as it is, don't add to the confusion, don't add to that by throwing in facts on something you obviously know fück-all about. People ask these questions because they want answers, but not some ghuff waffle!"

Actually, I'm one of those inquistive types who looks at the stickers on the machines to see what muscles are doing what...so bob_law was actually very helpful.

15. Thanks for the link as well Bugsy.