How many politicians have done military service?????

After reading the heartening news in the paper that the future King is to do a stint in green, I am now wondering exactly how many MP's in the house at the moment have a military background??

Does anyone know?

I have my own ideas about how the distribution by party of ex squaddies/matelots/crabs/booties would be
1. Tories
2. Libdems
3. Labour
4. Everyone else

Anyone got any facts on this??

No facts, but I'd bet a € for 10 that there are twice as many Tories with military experience than Labour.

CowboyBob said:
I think one of the Troy leader hopefuls was in the TA.
David Davis.

At least 2 Tory MPs and 1 Tory Peer on Op TELIC. At least one other Tory MP (Andrew Robathan) on Op GRANBY as a volunteer Regular reservist.

Eric Joyce - ex Maj AGC is a MSP I think

Ex WFR Colonel - Patrick Mercer - Tory MP as are a couple of Yeomanry TA

Tam Dayell ( spelling !) did National Service with a Cav mob....

Tim Collins ?

There are more....

No members of the current crop of cabinet incumbents (incompetents!!) have according to the Labour party website. Although accuracy from them is perhaps asking a bit much given past history.

No members of the current crop of cabinet incumbents (incompetents!!) have according to the Labour party website. Although accuracy from them is perhaps asking a bit much given past history.

Don't think it matters very much. As soon as they get their feet in the Westminster trough, they clone as MPs so as to get what they can from that system. Sort of "fcuk you Jack - I'm all right"

Maybe it should be compusory to have served before you send other lads off to war. Having said that, many MPs in the late 30s were WW1 veterans and there is a school of thought that their experiences made them reluctant to jump in and have another go against the Hun.

Most MPs seem to be ex Lawyers (all parties)
ex senior businessmen (tories)
ex public sector/voluntary sector (labour)
ex God-knows (libs)
ex terrorist/madcap religious mouth-frother/separatist Jock-Taff fantasist (others)

Maybe if there were some normal working Joes in there, we would have less of a loopy system.

Anyone here read Utopia?

Well you'd like to think that some of those values would have rubbed off on them. Most people are in the forces during a very impressionable time in their lives. Even if they get their spine removed when they get to parliament I would hope that something would still be there. Somewhere.

And of course, one female MP married to the Army who gave Hoon an extremely torrid time over trying to close down 2RRF :D