How many people here WILL have the vaccine and are comfortable doing so?

What's your view about vaccination?

• I'd never take a vaccination of any kind, not ever.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • I'd never take the covid vaccine, but might take one for a virus like smallpox.

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • I'll wait to see what the covid vaccine side-effects are. I may take it if it all seems safe.

Votes: 48 11.0%
  • I'd reluctantly take the covid vaccine if the penalties for not taking it may be too much to bear.

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • I'm okay with taking the vaccine, as I feel the overall benefits are likely to outweigh any risks.

Votes: 365 83.3%

• Total voters

no f in beer

War Hero
Microsoft say i will not be able to use T'internet unless i have the jab

Possibly.

over 60, underlying health conditions, so i am guessing not long into the new year before getting it (the jab). Had the plague, but that was 7 months ago, would like to check if jab messes with all the medication i take, but think that is unlikely, so will just join queue when asked

There was a Facebook post which SWMBO showed me. It was a quiz, asking different questions to do with biology. It was clever, in that it made a point about how little many of us know about virology and so on. It ended by saying, "So you say you've done your own research, yet you can't answer questions which can be easily answered by those who've done real research."

There's the point: 'research' isn't buying the anti-vaxxers rubbish, or the nonsense from the foil-hatters with their "they're injecting you with tracking devices" line.

I'm sad and ashamed of us as a society that people are ignorant enough to think that such as that is wise, or in any way to be taken seriously. More to the point, the 'believers' are smug in their certainty of being so much cleverer than the rest of us.

They're not. They're just knobs.

My post carried as much credence as their research - I'll have it done precisely because they say they won't matches their levels of 'research' and knowledge.

Actually, I'll have it done because I want to get on with some semblance of normality again.
The number of FB 'friends' or acquaintances i've snoozed/unfollowed just lately due to peddling unverified and scaremongering nonsense is unreal. A lot of them are serving or ex mil as well.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
The number of FB 'friends' or acquaintances i've snoozed/unfollowed just lately due to peddling unverified and scaremongering nonsense is unreal. A lot of them are serving or ex mil as well.
Well they're a bit late if they don't want the 'chip'.

R0B

War Hero
What worries me is that the gov passed a bill exempting the manufacturers suppliers and their agents from any legal action.
Why do that if you didn't have doubts?
So if it does go tits up you cannot take anyone to court.

I'm not sure that this it true although I've heard it a lot.

The "Vaccine Damage Payments Act 1979" lists diseases to which the act applies:

There is an amendment "The Vaccine Damage Payments (Specified Disease) Order 2020:

That says it adds COVID-19 to the list of diseases to which the act applies.

Default combo is only £10k so you won't get rich if you do grow two heads.

I haven't read the whole 1979 act.

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
My only worry is that in years to come it MAY have a side effect (think Thalidomide etc,).
I'm in my 50's and did my 22 mainly in BAOR as a Cold War bar propper upper - now reaping the consequences of that excess, so any side affects for me are....meh, such is life.

My only worry is that in years to come it MAY have a side effect (think Thalidomide etc,).
I'm in my 50's and did my 22 mainly in BAOR as a Cold War bar propper upper - now reaping the consequences of that excess, so any side affects for me are....meh, such is life.
I take it you've completely stopped drinking alcohol and refuse any other medication because of the potential side effects.

I expect I'll get it when it becomes available where I live, and the people ahead of me in line have gotten theirs.
I've survived every other jab I've received so far with nothing worse than a sore arm.

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
I take it you've completely stopped drinking alcohol and refuse any other medication because of the potential side effects.
No you misunderstand, I'm happy to have the jab and I've had many many jabs to travel the world for work.
I'm just worried that a slight miscalculation now with the whole planet getting the jab and in 3years or 2 generations time something goes wrong and it comes back to this one moment.
I know the odds are millions to one but......

Drinking, since leaving the mob I drink very little even for a civi.

The thalidomide tragedy of the early 60's highlights the risks and pit falls of not fully testing new drugs. As of date the release of the anti covid vaccine has been unduly rushed through, for several reasons,

1. To counter the pandemic.
2 To show the world that British scientific institutions are still viable.
3. whoever gets it to market first will make a fortune, once patented.
4. Politically, its a win win situation for the government of the day.
5. last, but not least, to upstage china, America etc.

All the above are random thoughts, and not to be taken as gospel, seriously or ....nurse the screens!
What @AlienFTM said - but this is also what happens when research is properly funded, with only necessary red tape involved - rather than waiting years for grants/funding and a lot of bureaucracy.

After a bit of reflection on the matter, I'll take it.

Not over keen, I don't like taking medication if I don't have to but Covid vaccine is a sensible option.
I'd rather have the Oxford vaccine and by the time my turn comes around thats probably what I'll get anyway.

Unless of course anybody tells me I must have it in which case I'll tell them to ram it but only because I'm a contrary fecker.

endure

GCM
The thalidomide tragedy of the early 60's highlights the risks and pit falls of not fully testing new drugs. As of date the release of the anti covid vaccine has been unduly rushed through, for several reasons,

1. To counter the pandemic.
2 To show the world that British scientific institutions are still viable.
3. whoever gets it to market first will make a fortune, once patented.
4. Politically, its a win win situation for the government of the day.
5. last, but not least, to upstage china, America etc.

All the above are random thoughts, and not to be taken as gospel, seriously or ....nurse the screens!

But it hasn't been rushed through. It's passed all the tests any medicine has to pass.

The reason it appears to have been rushed through is because the drug companies, instead of waiting until it passed the tests, took the huge risk of manufacturing it in parallel with the tests so it's ready as soon as it's approved.

If it's hadn't passed they'd have had to throw it away and waste billions of pounds in doing so.

But it hasn't been rushed through. It's passed all the tests any medicine has to pass.

The reason it appears to have been rushed through is because the drug companies, instead of waiting until it passed the tests, took the huge risk of manufacturing it in parallel with the tests so it's ready as soon as it's approved.

If it's hadn't passed they'd have had to throw it away and waste billions of pounds in doing so.
In addition, the drug companies and regulators worked in parallel with evaluation. This, too, has saved loads of time.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I entirely binned faceache a while ago due to the constant wibbling and upset over elections, who had voted which way and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So, the most vulnerable get it last?
makes perfect sense to someone.

The guidelines in the US are not etched on stone tablets for eternity. I have seen several articles indicating Covid affects the Black and Latino populations more severely than the population of the US as a whole. I also have read articles that Covid is worse for the morbidly obese segment of the population and that the percent of morbidly obese Black women is higher than in the general population. There may be a decision to move obese Black women to the head of the queue for this reason as well as the Black and Latino population in general.

PS - Your Rt Hon Ms Abbott should plan on getting the vaccine soon.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was aiming at Hancock

please tell me that's a waah as his full name for the show was Anthony Aloysius St John Hancock, (of 23 railway cuttings, east Cheam)

Latest Threads