How many people have signed off to get there own way ???

I've known two people sign off when things didn't go their way, only to be met with 'Ok, cheerio then'. One of them sheepishly signed back on before his time was up, the other lad convinced himself he wanted to leave and did.

I've never known of anyone getting their way by signing off as an ultimatum.

Bomb_Doctor said:
Depends what you want........

I wanted to leave, they wouldn't let me, I signed off, I left :)

I think you have to realise that you should only fight battles that you can win.
When you say you left did you mean you got posted or got out ?

R

really?_fascinating

Signing off will really help you get into 11 Regt I reckon, who could resist such a prospect? Sure they are crying out for people who will hold them to ransom. Once there would you negotiate duties and threaten to bang out if not to your liking?

With 11 years service and JS qual I assume you are at least a Sgt - surely you know better than this?

Perhaps there is some underlying reason why you have not gone to 11?

really?_fascinating said:
Signing off will really help you get into 11 Regt I reckon, who could resist such a prospect? Sure they are crying out for people who will hold them to ransom. Once there would you negotiate duties and threaten to bang out if not to your liking?

With 11 years service and JS qual I assume you are at least a Sgt - surely you know better than this?

Perhaps there is some underlying reason why you have not gone to 11?
Ok possibly gave across the wrong impression there. Didn't mean by any stretch I wanted to sign off to get my own way. Was just wondering why it would appear that when some people do this they get pretty much what there demanding. Yet when people just bide there time and wait for things to happen does it seem that they just get passed over so to speak ?

B

Biscuits_AB

skintboymike said:
I've known two people sign off when things didn't go their way, only to be met with 'Ok, cheerio then'. One of them sheepishly signed back on before his time was up, the other lad convinced himself he wanted to leave and did.

I have. She got her own way. And now she's trying to sue the MoD. But that's another story.

Biscuits_AB said:
skintboymike said:

I have. She got her own way. And now she's trying to sue the MoD. But that's another story.
Go on Biscuits_AB, spill! Ya know ya want to - good for the soul and all of that. :D

I know of 2 seniors who signed off to get out of certain postings. Both signed back on when said postings were cancelled.

Result! Err, no.......... they both eventuallly ended up at the units they tried to avoid with a question mark hanging over them.

Morale of this story?

Beware the patient Colonel with the memory of an elephant.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard loads of stories of people holding the army to ransom, but funnily enough names are never mentioned.....

I was one of the 1st people to sign off on JPA and when it asked me what day I wanted to leave I put a date around 7 months in the future. There was no system in place to ensure that I had given a full years notice and so when it came to my week of leaving they turned round and said "Well actually you are not due to leave until August". It was a bit hit and miss as to whether they were going to let me go or not. They did in the end and if they didn't I would have sued the army for my entire savings I have put into this company (www.forcesresources.co.uk).

I didn't sue for all my injuries put together, I'm not suing although everybody wants me to get compensation but if they made me stay in when I put my savings and resettlement into this I would have.

If they weren't going to let me sign off either (we had been warned for ops) I had already obtained the services in an expert in military law and was going to fight it all the way.

ForcesResources said:
I was one of the 1st people to sign off on JPA and when it asked me what day I wanted to leave I put a date around 7 months in the future. There was no system in place to ensure that I had given a full years notice and so when it came to my week of leaving they turned round and said "Well actually you are not due to leave until August". It was a bit hit and miss as to whether they were going to let me go or not. They did in the end and if they didn't I would have sued the army for my entire savings I have put into this company (www.forcesresources.co.uk).

I didn't sue for all my injuries put together, I'm not suing although everybody wants me to get compensation but if they made me stay in when I put my savings and resettlement into this I would have.

If they weren't going to let me sign off either (we had been warned for ops) I had already obtained the services in an expert in military law and was going to fight it all the way.
Warned off for Ops and you signed off>

Am I missing something here?

The_Snail said:
Warned off for Ops and you signed off>
Am I missing something here?
Not really, I couldn't do my job as I have too many long term injuries, thought about it for a while, no good in the army any more so might as well do something useful. Loved the tours when I did em and I miss the whole life and yes the tours but it's time to move on.

Those that can do
Those that can't deliver to those that can!

John,

Just had a look at your Website - Not being funny, but that has to be the worst spelt website I've seen for a long time. If I was you, I'd take it down, get it proof read and then put it back up..... If you can't even spell, can you deliver on time/to the right place?????? That's what will be going through people's minds.

Free advice - take it or leave it :)

Bomb_Doctor said:
John,

Just had a look at your Website - Not being funny, but that has to be the worst spelt website I've seen for a long time. If I was you, I'd take it down, get it proof read and then put it back up..... If you can't even spell, can you deliver on time/to the right place?????? That's what will be going through people's minds.

Free advice - take it or leave it :)
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I'd just like to thank you for putting it on the forum and not sending me a PM, at least it made a few more people aware of the service.

John

Working at RHQ AFNORTH (Brunssum, NL) doing an 'out of trade' post. Basically AGC with a good head for computers working on developing a new computer based command and control system (LC2IS) and some steps into assimilating data from 'blue force tracking' systems into a near realtime computerised command system.

Thriving at the post, loving the work and two O grades given which were both downgraded to A's based on the fact that 'You can't be given an Outstanding grade for a job that isn't your trade' (What the fook is that about eh!).

Anyways, my two years is coming to a close and as we're working with a number of civilian and NATO agencies across the Europe, I informed them of the fact that I would most likely be moved on.

Next project meeting I have a US 4 star General and a US Rear Admiral and a number of the project honchos hand me letters of recommendation to be extended 2 years until the end of the project as losing me at this critical time would probably put the project back 3 - 4 months while they got the new incumbent up to speed with the ins and outs of the system.

Next comes an interview with my SO2 SPS who had turned down a number of invitations to see the work we were doing, visiting exercises and trials etc. In the interview, he didnt know my rank, his notes on file about me were pretty basic and all he really had to say is 'Youve been ot of trade fo 2 years, Im recommended you be posted to Aldershot to a Pay Office'

I asked him if he had considered the importance of my role there or read the letters from people of far superior rank and experience than himself to which he replied that he didnt care what they thought, all that counted was what he thought.

Fine says I, if thats the way you think you manage people, then I will sign off as soon as I get back to the UK. He looked upon this as the usual whining threat of 'Give me what I want or I'll sign off' and ignored me.

Day 1 at new unit, marched into the RAO for welcome interview. RAO asks if I have any questions and I pull my 6848s out of my pocket and say 'Yes Sir, could you please sign these for me'. He tried the normal blurb of get settled in first and see how you go. I explained to him it wasnt about not getting settled in, it was about the lack of interest in the Corps in me as an individual and employing me in something that I was excelling at, rather than think I'd been on a jolly for 2 years and bring me back to the real world by sticking me in a shirthole like Aldershot.

After much debate he signed my 6848s and the clock started. I found a resettlement course, did the course, was offered a job right away and so came back, marched in, handed him a cheque for 200 quid and my application to PVR. He asked me what the hell I thought I was doing and tried to make out I couldnt PVR (Id already checked :)). I stood rigidly to attention in front of him while he went mental at screwing him over (big 6 week ex coming up, preps for deployment after that etc etc). When he stopped for breath I said very calmly 'Would you like me to close your door Sir and then we can continue without everyone hearing'.

Needless to say, he made my life pretty crap for that last 30 days and even had a dig at my leaving presentation saying 'I wasnt the best SNCO he'd had working for him'. As much as I wanted to say that he wasnt the best RAO I'd worked for, I held back from doing so. The fact he'd said that in front of a lot of junior clerks annoyed quite a few of the other SNCOs and WOs too and words were had afterwards. Moral victory to me :)

So, Ive been a civvy for about three years now. Life isnt as easy but Im working in IT as a Desktop Support Officer for a District Council. Its hard graft, the council itself is a nightmare and the wages are a lot less that I made as a Sgt. But, I enjoy the challenge of my work and a lot of people respect me for my efforts. Thats something I never felt I got from the Army from a lot of people no matter how much effort I put in.

As a small afternote I found out that the guy they posted in to replace me was just after an easy life post for 2 years, he was completely overwhelmed by the work and was moved out of the position after a matter of weeks, unable to cope with the level of technical knowledge needed for the job.

this tactic is also been used with some efficiency amongst the young officers..... recently saw a guy sign-back on with only 2 weeks left until he was due out... but only once he'd received his 1st choice 'kushti-kushti' posting. Have seen a few other use this lately. Mind you, also saw this with some soldiers who threatened to sign off when reading their CRs and seeing they were not being rec'd for promotion....