How many people fail AOSB?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Dwizzle, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finally sent of my regular officer application form yesterday after many days of procrastination; was just wondering what percentage of people pass AOSB briefing, and of them what percentage make from main board on to Sandhurst? I haven't found any figures so far but the impression I've got is that a good majority do pass - even my very un-warry mate only failed because of food allergies.

Still trying to prepare pretty thoroughly, not only because I'm a keen little ****** but also because I have very little else to do in my disgustingly long university holidays...

2. 43%

43.42% on a leap year.

3. somewhere between 40%-60%. The figures can be found with a search. This rate probably does not include those who realise it is not for them, guys often drop out as far along as pccbc.

4. I had briefing on Monday and we were told that main board currently has a 52% pass rate - I'm unsure about briefing but I imagine it's slightly higher.

5. I couldn't even begin to estimate the pass percentages for AOSB Briefing. You get so many people who decide it's not for them or are completely unsuitable and don't get through as a result. For MB about 50% will pass it on the first attempt and 80% of those who have a second crack but there's huge variation between boards. We were told that the Board before us had only about a 25% success rate whereas on mine I would hazard a guess that it was in the region of 60-70%. You've probably been told this before but you're judged against a standard, not a quote! They can take as many or as little as they see fit off any given Board.

6. Idle speculation, and not exactly on point, but I would love to know the success rate of MB to comission ie the % of the people who attempt MB to getting through it all. If the great Sandhurst documentary taught us much beyond how HCav is an old boy's club, it was probably that even of those people who make it to Sandhurst, a fair few drop out (the image of the them getting 'deleted' with the CSgt's black pen was pretty frequent). Having said that, I assume no figure like this exists.

7. It was a long time ago when I did it, but the pass rate at the then RCB was well below 50%. In addition a number of potential applicants were put off/dissuaded before even going to RCB, Then there was a drop out rate at RMAS of soemwhere round 20%, but I'm not entirely sure how it all worked out with those backtermed into and out of various intakes.

But what does it matter? For you if you want to commit to it, thats what you need to do. If it turns out that you do not get through thats tough to deal with but at least you will have given it your best shot. mMuch better than not going fror it and regretting it ever after.

DO all you can to prepare - visits, fitness training, practise tests etc. And put yourself in leadership positions, whether that is ACF/CCF/OTC or whether its overseeing a few immigrant workers on your local farm. As long as you give it your all, then no-one can ask for more than that and you can be satisfied wih yourself pass or fail.

Good luck

8. Why does it matter?

If 99% of people fail one weekend and only 5% fail the next does it mean you were better then them? NO. It just means you met the required standards.

So stop worrying about the pass rate and start practicing PlanEx's, start running and read some news papers, and MEET THE REQUIRED standards.

Dman.

9. Not really asking in terms of "how good do I have to be", more out of general curiosity.

That said, how important is leadership experience? I think I'm pretty strong on everything else (fitness, general intelligence, current affairs knowledge, enthusiasm etc) but I basically have had 0 positions of responsibility, mainly because at school everything like "head of house food" seemed too trivial to be worth applying for...

10. The AOSB are there to pick who is suitable and if you are a good candidate they will realise this. Turn up fit, keen and well prepared and they'll do the decision making.
    Spoke to my regimental sponsor and he did inform me that the pass rate between january and march 2012 was around 20%.